PDA News - AT&T/TMo wireless pact, PPC Flash, Palm 6 to be 'Cobalt'?

Closed Thread
    Brighthand Reviewer

Default PDA News - AT&T/TMo wireless pact, PPC Flash, Palm 6 to be 'Cobalt'?

AT&T, T-Mobile form WiFi hotspot pact

Under a new corporate agreement, T-Mobile hotspot subscribers will be able to use AT&T hotspots in the Denver and Philadelphia International airports, and AT&T subscribers will get access to T-Mo's hotspots in San Francisco International airport.

http://news.com.com/2110-7351_3-5154711.html?tag=st_lh

PocketPC Flash player

Bryht Flash Player, a standalone Flash player for the PocketPC, has been updated to version 2.0. In addition to its existing features, Bryht now supports full-screen portrait mode, and conversion of PowerPoint files to Flash.

Bryht Flash player at Handango

New name of Palm OS 6 to be 'Cobalt'?

The other day we brought you the news that PalmSource will be renaming the 5.x and 6.x versions of the Palm OS to reflect their simultaneous maintainence. Now, thanks to eagle-eyed PalmInfoCenter reader Craig Bowers, we know the probable new name for OS 6. Mr. Bowers found the following listed in a schedule for the 2004 Palm Developers Conference:

"Palm OS Cobalt Technical Introduction"
    Tuesday 11:30am to 12:30am
    Speaker: David Fedor
    This is the session you've all been waiting for - a whirlwind overview of the incredible array of new features and technology engineered into the latest version of Palm OS..."

Update on Lycoris Pocket Linux

In our initial article about Lycoris' plans to create a new variety of handheld Linux, called Desktop/LX Pocket PC Edition, we noted that the Lycoris website had no information about the project, wven though it was supposed to be unveiled on the 2nd. Now, however, the official product page is available on their site. The update also includes a planned release date of Q2 2004.

Original article

http://www.lycoris.com/products/pocketpc/

High capacity... fish sticks?

This hurts to read.

From Brighthand:

FISH (Flash Internal Semiconductor Hard-drives) memory cards communicate over the USB 2.0 communications standard and so they can be plugged into the USB port on any desktop or laptop. They could also be used with any handheld that includes a USB port.

The first generation of FISH sticks can be up to 2 GB.

Now I can feel glad that this new wanna-be standard will fail not just because it means more standardization on existing formats, but because I won't have to hear the phrase "2 GB FISH stick" ever again. At least, I hope not.

Brighthand article

http://www.fishmemory.org/

Mobile Deity

As a T-Mobile Hot Spot subscriber, I love the idea of trading coverage with another provider, just like T-Mobile does with Cingular in the cell business. I have to question this minor trade though, couldn't they have inked something a little more encompassing?

Oh, and the Fish sticks, no way!

Editor in Chief
    www.bargainPDA.com
    www.SPOTstop.com

AdamaDBrown, I don't understand why you think that the new FISH memory will fail since it's basically a high-speed USB 2.0 thumbdrive already. I'd more inclined to buying one of these, rather than buying a regular USB thumbdrive.

The best part is (quoting the artice @ Brighthand.com) - "there are no licensing fees involved."

Brighthand Reviewer

I just don't see the FISH sticks gaining a foothold, mostly because they would require an implementation of USB Host on each device that uses them, which would be costly in both hardware and software terms.

Don't get me wrong, I'd actually like to see the market open up for the FISH drives, since it would mean USB ports on everything. I just don't think it's going to happen.

As for the AT&T/TMo deal, I'd guess that this is a kind of 'testing the waters' arrangement intended to work out the bugs in swapping access before its tried on a larger scale. Eventually we may see something like cellular roaming develop.