CEA Opposes CTIA Support of Plan to Ban Mobile Devices While Driving Discussion

+ Reply to Thread
    Brighthand Contributor

Default CEA Opposes CTIA Support of Plan to Ban Mobile Devices While Driving Discussion

The Consumer Electronics Association (CEA) has spoken out against CTIA's promotion of the development of new products and services that disable a driver's mobile device.

Read the full content of this Article: CEA Opposes CTIA Support of Plan to Ban Mobile Devices While Driving

Brighthand Reviewer

Default Re: CEA Opposes Technology to Disable Mobile Devices While Driving Discussion

Good. This entire premise is simply idiotic, and also dependent on the premise that no one would ever have an emergency that required them to use a phone while in the car, nobody ever carries passengers who might want to use their mobile devices, nobody needs to use a GPS device, etcetera, etcetera.

Your Super Moderator
    Atlanta, GA USA Devices: Misc Palm & iProducts

Default Re: CEA Opposes Technology to Disable Mobile Devices While Driving Discussion

That whole idea of disabling devices is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard.
    Experience is what you get when you thought you were getting something else.

Brighthand Forums - The Best Advice At Any Price

m130, Zire 71, Tungsten E, Palm TX, Eee PC, Aspire One, iPod Touch 2G, iPhone 3Gs, iPad, iPhone 4, iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPad Mini-R

Banned

I agree, idiotic. Until someone manages to do it only for the driver or something, it's a non-starter.

LandSurveyor

My state, Alabama, just passed a no-texting-while-driving law. They stopped short of telling you that you can't call while driving. I think it may take this to convince people that texting while driving is dangerous.

It's practically unenforceable of course but still a good idea. I think it will mean that if somebody has an accident while texting, they're up the creek, though.

The editor of Cafe Racer magazine has an article in his mag this month stressing the dangers and, as motorcyclists, we are especially vulnerable so it's doubly important for that crowd.

He related a recent incident wherein he was stopped in gridlock somewhere when a rear-ender happened close to him. He looked down to see a driver's phone skidding down the asphalt.

No, disabling phones is silly.

Life is a circus!

What we really need is technology to prevent teenage passengers from being in cars with teenage drivers.
    This Signature Line Intentionally Left Blank

Endogame

"There is no real-world evidence to support such a blanket prohibition unless one would also ban other potential distractions, such as eating, drinking, applying make-up and engaging with children while in the vehicle," the CEA said.
    Indeed. Technology is not the problem. Idiocy is. Try to make cars idiot proof, and they'll make a "better" idiot. I don't know exactly how one weeds out the idiots fairly and effectively, but I know this ain't it.

No matter what triggers and fail safes were implemented, Adama is right on, one type of emergency would be unanticipated and people would die as a result. I don't think there'd be a single life saved, because taking one toy away from someone determined not to pay attention won't make them pay attention.
    Project Ara ~ Designed exclusively for 6 billion people.
    DIMPLE ~ Android NFC Buttons!

Banned

I think Jig has a good idea. Here's an interesting study. I haven't read it in full and some of the comments indicate there is even more interesting stuff (like young girls are actually more dangerous in numbers in cars). I can't vouch for that though.

Teenage Driver Study Reconfirms Link Between Young Passengers and Chances of a Fatal Crash - NYTimes.com