T-Mobile Getting $1 Billion Worth of Spectrum from AT&T Discussion

+ Reply to Thread
    TabletPCReview Editor

Default T-Mobile Getting $1 Billion Worth of Spectrum from AT&T Discussion

The FCC has given its approval to a huge transfer of wireless spectrum from AT&T and T-Mobile. This is costing T-Mobile nothing, but will significantly aid in its plans to offer 4G LTE service next year.

Read the full content of this Article: T-Mobile Getting $1 Billion Worth of Spectrum from AT&T

Related Articles:

LandSurveyor

Default Re: T-Mobile Getting $1 Billion Worth of Spectrum from AT&T Discussion

This is good news but won't do me any good in the short run if it requires me to buy a new device to access it.

Regarding the chunk of cash which they also got from ATT, I continue to hope that their network modernization plans include geographic expansion as well.

TabletPCReview Editor

LS, by the time T-Mobile gets this service widely available, it will probably be time for you to get a new phone anyway.

For example, Verizon introduced its LTE service in 2010, but unless you were lucky enough to live in one of the scattering of cities with 4G coverage, it did you no good. Only in recent weeks has coverage become broad enough that I consider it a mainstream service.

AT&T is still in the early stages of rolling out its LTE service, which debuted last fall.

T-Mobile is going to start offering LTE in 2013. Based on its rivals' experiences, it probably won't be really widespread until 2014.
    -
    Last edited by Ed Hardy; 04-27-2012 at 10:49 AM.
    I am the former Site Editor of Brighthand, but I now run the sister-site TabletPCReview. Follow me on Twitter or Google+

Absent-Minded Professor

I'd be happy if T-Mobile would give us 3G here in Monroe, MI. We're still stuck on EDGE.
    Pilot 1000, PalmPilot Personal (w/2MB "Palm III" upgrade card), Visor Deluxe, m105, m125, Tungsten E, Tapwave Zodiac 1, unlocked GSM Centro, T-Mobile Dash 3G, T-Mobile Touch Pro 2, Motorola DEFY (T-Mobile), Samsung Galaxy SII (T-Mobile), Archos 80 G9 tablet, Google Nexus 7 (2013, 32GB)

LandSurveyor

Which doesn't give me much confidence about going to LTE here, either. Taking in mind what Ed is saying, I'm reminded that although i get Tmo's "4G" in town, out here at home, a mere six miles from the nearest town, EDGE is all I have still. This is especially frustrating since there is a Tmo tower maybe 2 miles from this house.

No, I suspect that by the time Tmo gets its 4G up and running within its present coverage area, everybody else will have jumped another "G."

Geographic expansion is just a pipe dream.