There Might Be No Windows Phone 8 Upgrades for Current Models Discussion

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Brighthand Contributor

Default There Might Be No Windows Phone 8 Upgrades for Current Models Discussion

According to an unconfirmed report, Windows Phone 8 is going to come with hardware requirements that will prevent any current Windows Phone 7.5 model from running it.

Read the full content of this Article: There Might Be No Windows Phone 8 Upgrades for Current Models

Related Articles:

Mobile Enthusiast

Default Re: There Might Be No Windows Phone 8 Upgrades for Current Models Discussion

I actually didn't expect any Windows Phone 7.5 devices to run Windows phone 8. After using Windows 8 Consumer Preview (and since WP 8 is going to use the W8 kernel while 7.5 still uses WinMo) I would hope they would need dual core or better. Yes its going to be a stripped down version of Windows 8 but in its core its still going to be Windows 8 (without the desktop). Its a more powerful OS and it'll probably need more memory than 7.5 too. Its not like apple going from ios 4 to ios 5 where they're just adding features, this is another major overhaul of the OS.

So this shouldn't be a shock or a disappointment to anyone.

Hookette's edgy lately

Default Re: There Might Be No Windows Phone 8 Upgrades for Current Models Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by HellcatM View Post
    I actually didn't expect any Windows Phone 7.5 devices to run Windows phone 8. After using Windows 8 Consumer Preview (and since WP 8 is going to use the W8 kernel while 7.5 still uses WinMo) I would hope they would need dual core or better. Yes its going to be a stripped down version of Windows 8 but in its core its still going to be Windows 8 (without the desktop). Its a more powerful OS and it'll probably need more memory than 7.5 too. Its not like apple going from ios 4 to ios 5 where they're just adding features, this is another major overhaul of the OS.

So this shouldn't be a shock or a disappointment to anyone.
    Oh, no, getting suckered into yet another dead-end platform after the last dead end platform, heck, that shouldn't bother anyone who invested Windows Phone 7.

That'll really help those Nokia sales.
    Hook's Palm TX Help Page

Past: Palm T2 > Palm X > Nokia 5800 > HTC Nexus One > Samsung Galaxy Player 5 > LG Nexus 4 (gave to son) > LG Nexus 5

Current:
    Nexus 5, 32 GB,Rooted, Dirty Unicorns ROM, Android 4.4.2, Franco kernel
    Nexus 7 (2012) wifi+data (AT&T), Rooted, SlimKat Build 4, Android 4.4.2, ART, Franco Kernel

That's all folks...

My thoughts exactly. What a giant fizzle Windows Phone has turned out to be.

Sent from my HTC EVO Shift using Tapatalk
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Mobile Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Hook View Post
    Oh, no, getting suckered into yet another dead-end platform after the last dead end platform, heck, that shouldn't bother anyone who invested Windows Phone 7.

That'll really help those Nokia sales.
    From what I understand most if not all the apps for WP7 will work on WP8 (with little or no extra coding. Just because it uses the same kernel as Win8 doesn't mean its not compatible with WP7 apps. Microsoft hints that Windows 8 will run Windows Phone 7 apps | ExtremeTech

Hookette's edgy lately

From what I understand most if not all the apps for WP7 will work on WP8 (with little or no extra coding. Just because it uses the same kernel as Win8 doesn't mean its not compatible with WP7 apps. Microsoft hints that Windows 8 will run Windows Phone 7 apps | ExtremeTech
    That's fine for people with Win 8 phones, but doesn't address the issue I raised.
    Hook's Palm TX Help Page

Past: Palm T2 > Palm X > Nokia 5800 > HTC Nexus One > Samsung Galaxy Player 5 > LG Nexus 4 (gave to son) > LG Nexus 5

Current:
    Nexus 5, 32 GB,Rooted, Dirty Unicorns ROM, Android 4.4.2, Franco kernel
    Nexus 7 (2012) wifi+data (AT&T), Rooted, SlimKat Build 4, Android 4.4.2, ART, Franco Kernel

Mobile Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Hook View Post
    That's fine for people with Win 8 phones, but doesn't address the issue I raised.
    Ok so all the fragmentation with Android is ok. And when apple brings out a new phone and the old OS doesn't work or it barely works that's ok, but Microsoft does it and its horrible. Give me a fracking break!

hal
    itchy and cold feet hal

Geez, Palm at least delayed 13 years in orphaning its loyal user base. The Microsoft / Nokia duet is gonna kill their own in much less time. If Microsoft eventually acts so, they're gonna shoot themselves in the foot. With a shotgun, I mean.

As of now, it's still an unconfirmed report. But if it turns out to be true, just as the previous posters have hinted, the lack of backwards compatibility will affect the execution of applications. Of course Microsoft has clearly moved off the corporate segment, otherwise they would be pulling all the strings in the stick in order to keep backwards compatibility. And if a corporate decision were laid on me, by all means I'd avoid this platform whatsoever. Even Blackberry with its blackouts is a much better option.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda. "Nothing is neither wear-proof, nor fail-proof, least fool-proof." - HAL. "Indeed, fool-proof inventions have been attempted, but don't work, fools are pretty witty ones." - Murphy's Law. "Even worse than a traitor, is a dumb@$$ with initiative." - Gral. Santa Ana
    Link: Palm resets

Older 'n louder w/KB envy

Ok so all the fragmentation with Android is ok. And when apple brings out a new phone and the old OS doesn't work or it barely works that's ok, but Microsoft does it and its horrible. Give me a fracking break!
    If you look at the absolute amount of time for an Apple device to be unable to run a newer OS version, you might change your mind. And, no, all the Android fragmentation is not really acceptable for me, but thats a different kettle of fish, one brought on by the high number of widely-varying models running Android, something which has developed over a number of years.

I suspect consumers will not be as forgiving as you seem to be, if this rumor turns out to be true. my 2

EDIT: found this post by ADB, from May 2011:
    Re: WinMo outsells WP7 in Q1 2011?
    Microsoft utterly screwed themselves when they killed Windows Mobile in favor of WP7. Not because Windows Mobile was brilliant, actually it desperately needed an upgrade. But by tossing it in favor of a completely new OS, they have burned their entire installed customer base. How many of those people are going to upgrade to a WP7 phone, now that not only do they have to replace all their apps, but they run the risk of Microsoft trashing everything and starting over again?

So many people jump to other, more trustworthy platforms. Or they keep their existing devices. Or they buy something from the remaining WM lines. Either way, Microsoft has a doubly hard sell to make for WP7 against their own history and the juggernaut wars of Android versus iOS.
    WP7 came out in late 2010, from what I've seen, just to add some perspective...emphasis added by RA
    Last edited by RickAgresta; 03-14-2012 at 10:21 AM.
    My useful BH links -- BH FAQS/repair options/digitizer discussions
    ~"Friends are the Fambly we choose" ~"Shared pain is diminished, shared joy is increased"
    ~inanimate objects are smarter than we give them credit for~our lives are too short to not help others
    ~"when you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it" Dilbert 9/22/09
    ~RAiD: making no decision is really making the choice to do nothing, about something
    ~The beauty of learning to let go of anger and those things we cannot change is that you can make choices
    and deal with things on your own terms and not have them affect your whole day or those around you.

r0k
    Mobile Deity
    (in the Palm of God's Hand *Detroit)....... Device: iPhone 5

There was an interview with Johnathon Ive (Apple's design guy) where he more or less said "Make it better or don't make it". At one point he said...

Q: Why has Apple’s competition struggled to do that?

A: That’s quite unusual, most of our competitors are interesting in doing something different, or want to appear new - I think those are completely the wrong goals. A product has to be genuinely better. This requires real discipline, and that’s what drives us - a sincere, genuine appetite to do something that is better. Committees just don’t work, and it’s not about price, schedule or a bizarre marketing goal to appear different - they are corporate goals with scant regard for people who use the product.
    While I don't agree MS, RIM, Google and HP and the rest aren't trying to make things better, I do agree that "noise" from corporate marketing and other "clueless ones with official sounding titles" often gets in the way of great products. This is true at any large company but Apple has managed to dodge this bullet by the dictatorship of design and function over all those other corporate bureaucrats. Recently, James Whitaker departed Google and said the kind of things that hint that the concerns Jonathon Ive was voicing are affecting Google. Let's hope Apple keeps up the pressure to make good stuff (even if it's not perfect stuff). Perhaps competition from Apple will drag the rest of industry kicking and screaming to make products that don't suck.

After fiddling with a Comcast remote, Samsung BluRay remote and LG TV remote I have only one question: When are we finally gonna get that Siri-powered Apple TV? I'd really like to give Apple the chance to do for my TV experience what they've already done for my music, computer, tablet and phone.
    -Jeff
    (r0k)

Palm Devices List (updated 10/17/2011)

sharp - early 1990's -> palm iii (late 1998) ... T|T3 -> ipaq 3115
    (returned to store) ->TX ... Treo 650-> 755p ->bb8830+iPod Touch->RAZR M + iPhone5+iPad mini