DataViz Documents To Go Review: The King of Mobile Office Apps vs. Its Rivals Discussion

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Brighthand Reviewer

Arrow DataViz Documents To Go Review: The King of Mobile Office Apps vs. Its Rivals Discussion

For more than a decade now, going back to Palm Inc.'s heyday, Documents To Go by DataViz has stood front and center as a big name in mobile office apps. It continues this long run today with office suites on contemporary platforms such as Android OS and Apple's iOS. In this review, we'll take a close look at the current version for Android OS phones, and how it actually stacks up versus rivals such as ThinkFree Mobile Office and Quickoffice.

On a basic level, DocsToGo does the same thing other office suites for Android do. It allows you to create, edit and view Microsoft Office documents on your mobile device. Yet that's sort of like saying that a pickup truck and a Mustang sports car are both designed to move people and goods from one location to another. Where the pickup truck outdoes the Mustang in some ways, the Mustang shines elsewhere.

Read the full content of this Article: DataViz Documents To Go Review: The King of Mobile Office Apps vs. Its Rivals

Related Articles:

Older 'n louder w/KB envy

Default Re: DataViz Documents To Go Review: A King of Mobile Office Apps Vs. Its Rivals Discussion

An even-handed review, Adama (didn't want to be misinterpreted by saying 'fair'); one thing against DTG I'd like to add is that changing input-type is not easily done -- you need to "spawn" out of the open document to a tool option that has a text field, make your change of input type, and then return to the document. in my limited experience with android, in other apps one merely needs to long-press in the text entry area and one of the pop-up options is 'input method'. admittedly a small gripe, but of importance to some.
    My useful BH links -- BH FAQS/repair options/digitizer discussions
    ~"Friends are the Fambly we choose" ~"Shared pain is diminished, shared joy is increased"
    ~inanimate objects are smarter than we give them credit for~our lives are too short to not help others
    ~"when you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it" Dilbert 9/22/09
    ~RAiD: making no decision is really making the choice to do nothing, about something
    ~The beauty of learning to let go of anger and those things we cannot change is that you can make choices
    and deal with things on your own terms and not have them affect your whole day or those around you.

Brighthand Reviewer

Default Re: DataViz Documents To Go Review: A King of Mobile Office Apps Vs. Its Rivals Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by RickAgresta View Post
    An even-handed review, Adama (didn't want to be misinterpreted by saying 'fair'); one thing against DTG I'd like to add is that changing input-type is not easily done -- you need to "spawn" out of the open document to a tool option that has a text field, make your change of input type, and then return to the document. in my limited experience with android, in other apps one merely needs to long-press in the text entry area and one of the pop-up options is 'input method'. admittedly a small gripe, but of importance to some.
    Thanks. I can easily see how I'd miss that, as I don't really use multiple input options that much--in fact, I pretty much exclusively use the Android keyboard if a physical one isn't available to me.

Banned

Default Re: DataViz Documents To Go Review: The King of Mobile Office Apps vs. Its Rivals Discussion

My problem is more philosophical. I"ve used DTG on Palms; and haven't had huge problems; but hearing about their past history of poor customer support and dubious business practices makes me wary of buying their products.

The document compatibility is an issue though. I'm surprised that's still an issue; but then refer to my first 'graph.

Finally, I think cloud support criticism is overdone for the moment. Documents take very little space relative to music and video files. While it would be nice, and is likely to come in the future; I wouldn't be that worried about it now. Then again, I'm less cloud-oriented than the average user.

Brighthand Reviewer

Default Re: DataViz Documents To Go Review: The King of Mobile Office Apps vs. Its Rivals Discussion

I would say that the cloud issue is less about storage, and more about backup and ease of transfer. The ability to, say, sync to a Dropbox folder isn't really about freeing up a couple hundred K of storage on the device, it's about the fact that you don't lose your documents if you lose your phone, and even just day to day you can get at them quickly and easily. The alternative is hooking up to your desktop every time you need to get at your files. That worked once upon a time when devices were more desktop dependent, but I'm pretty sure most users these days rarely if ever connect their smartphones to their PCs for data sync.

Buttons!

That's pretty much how I use the cloud Adama. Cloud sync, mostly. I wouldn't trust straight up storage without local backup, and security is still a concern, but it makes moving files that don't need to be secure around very convenient.

Palm Pilot

I use dropbox not for getting files off my phone, but for having a place to access files I need on a regular basis, on different computers, some of which I don't own, and don't want to store the files on. I also need to let others have access to them on a selective basis. Dropbox lets me keep a copy on my computer, or phone if I want, as well as having it available if I lose my phone or my computer dies or is stolen. I also keep copies on an old laptop at home that I use as a server, with a USB-connected HDD. Backups to backups, but like money, you can never have too many backups. Direct sync to Dropbox et al is nice, but it's easy enough to use something like Dropsync to keep your docs in sync. I don't think it's a dealbreaker. I bought Docs2Go because it was on sale for a dime, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered. I already had QuickOffice Pro. I do find that Docs2Go works better for me, though, because I seldom edit documents on my phone, and mostly what I use either app for is projecting presentation slideshows to a TV. Docs2Go makes that easier and quicker. Having a TV-out capability on my phone is very handy, since my netbook only has VGA out. I just connect the cable to my phone, open the Powerpoint in Docs2Go, and instant slideshow. With QuickOffice I haven't found a way to remove the thumbnails on the left side of the screen.
    Regards,

Stan

M105->Zire->Zire71->T3 > Lifedrive + N800 > EeePC + Samsung Captivate + Asus Transformer Prime + SGS3

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - B. Franklin

Banned

All good points. I can see the backup issue being a good one. But as Stan wrote, there are reasonable options for cloud storage already. But improvements are always good.

Brighthand Reviewer

Quote Originally Posted by Mi An View Post
    That's pretty much how I use the cloud Adama. Cloud sync, mostly. I wouldn't trust straight up storage without local backup, and security is still a concern, but it makes moving files that don't need to be secure around very convenient.
    Likewise. I do use my 50 GB Box.net account for some long term backup--mostly redundancy on things like personal photos, etcetera just in case of local disaster--but my Dropbox is very much a transit point, not a backup.

Hookette's edgy lately

I actually use DropBox as a delivery system. I produce a weekly Radio Show (broadcast, not internet) for a radio station in rural Arizona. I use the radio station's software on the computer and do it exactly as I woould if I were live in the studio. Then I package it as a file that the radio station software reads. I used to have to then put it upon my server and they would have to go to a link in their browser and download it.

A while ago, I figured the much easier system of setting up a free DropBox account. I had them set it up on the radio station's computer and I set it up on mine in a separate user account (which is how you can have more than one DropBox). Bingo. I drop the show in once a week, it appears like magic on the radio station computer in AZ and they add the file to the radio software folders ad delete it from the DropBox folder.

Okay, sorry, I guess this is getting pretty off topic, but it *is* a really nice use of DropBox.
    Hook's Palm TX Help Page

Past: Palm T2 > Palm X > Nokia 5800 > HTC Nexus One > Samsung Galaxy Player 5 > LG Nexus 4 (gave to son) > LG Nexus 5

Current:
    Nexus 5, 32 GB,Rooted, Dirty Unicorns ROM, Android 4.4.2, Franco kernel
    Nexus 7 (2012) wifi+data (AT&T), Rooted, SlimKat Build 4, Android 4.4.2, ART, Franco Kernel