HP Lays Off Hundreds of Former Palm Employees Discussion

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    TabletPCReview Editor

Default HP Lays Off Hundreds of Former Palm Employees Discussion

In the wake of HP's controversial decision to stop production of webOS-based devices, the company is now giving pink slips to its employees who developed these smartphones and tablets.

Read the full content of this Article: HP Lays Off Hundreds of Former Palm Employees

Related Articles:

r0k
    Mobile Deity
    (in the Palm of God's Hand *Detroit)....... Device: iPhone 5

Default Re: HP Lays Off Hundreds of Former Palm Employees Discussion

This is so wrong. They thought that hp was rescuing them. How come CEOs don't get laid off with nothing? Even Borders' execs were getting bonuses after the last store closed, "Here you go. Nice job sticking it to your employees. Here's something to tide you over until you ruin another company."
    -Jeff
    (r0k)

Palm Devices List (updated 10/17/2011)

sharp - early 1990's -> palm iii (late 1998) ... T|T3 -> ipaq 3115
    (returned to store) ->TX ... Treo 650-> 755p ->bb8830+iPod Touch->RAZR M + iPhone5+iPad mini

Mobile Deity

Quote Originally Posted by r0k View Post
    This is so wrong. They thought that hp was rescuing them. How come CEOs don't get laid off with nothing? Even Borders' execs were getting bonuses after the last store closed, "Here you go. Nice job sticking it to your employees. Here's something to tide you over until you ruin another company."
    Couldn't agree with your statement more

hal
    itchy and cold feet hal

I think that the first wrong step was that Palm itself, as a whole corporation, had put itself in the first place, in the condition of needing to be rescued. Geez I'll never be over it, Palm had everything to keep at the top of the mobile world. Anyway, each of those employees, as common individuals, couldn't have solved what their leaders weren't solving, and then the second mistake was placing execs that after a while were still delivering expectations and not results. I mean, when a ship is sinking, you don't need to bloat how wonderful it would be to build another ship. The third mistake was HP's. I don't buy that crap that all of a sudden HP figures out that mobile is just not a good business. How much did they pay for Palm? Is that what their stakeholders deserve, a hesitation in the order of millions of dollars? I think that such a decision must have met a lot of considerations throughout the recent times until something specific triggered it.

That said, just like r0k I think that the common employees didn't deserve that either. All of a sudden, it comes to me like this was all part of the plan from the beginning. Hey we need to deduct taxes, and we gotta get over with before the yearly report comes in, so get yourself some mid-success thingy that we don't mind cutting to pieces during a firesale. The employees? ah, never mind, that's what they get for keeping themselves as commoners Anyway, you and me and the rest of the executive officers, we're getting wonderful bonuses.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda. "Nothing is neither wear-proof, nor fail-proof, least fool-proof." - HAL. "Indeed, fool-proof inventions have been attempted, but don't work, fools are pretty witty ones." - Murphy's Law. "Even worse than a traitor, is a dumb@$$ with initiative." - Gral. Santa Ana
    Link: Palm resets

TabletPCReview Editor

An unconfirmed report in the WSJ says HP might dump Leo Apotheker as CEO. Speaking as a webOS user, I can't blame them.
    I am the former Site Editor of Brighthand, but I now run the sister-site TabletPCReview. Follow me on Twitter or Google+

r0k
    Mobile Deity
    (in the Palm of God's Hand *Detroit)....... Device: iPhone 5

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hardy View Post
    An unconfirmed report in the WSJ says HP might dump Leo Apotheker as CEO. Speaking as a webOS user, I can't blame them.
    I heard that as well. Maybe justice will be done this time.
    -Jeff
    (r0k)

Palm Devices List (updated 10/17/2011)

sharp - early 1990's -> palm iii (late 1998) ... T|T3 -> ipaq 3115
    (returned to store) ->TX ... Treo 650-> 755p ->bb8830+iPod Touch->RAZR M + iPhone5+iPad mini

Life is a circus!

Quote Originally Posted by r0k View Post
    I heard that as well. Maybe justice will be done this time.
    He's going to prison, too?
    This Signature Line Intentionally Left Blank

Guy Smiley

It would be fitting. It would be one thing if Leo had come in with suggestions that HP needed to become SAP, but the fact is he went wide pushing the consumer side (January 27, 2011 E Week article) and then bailed way too quickly, tanking HP's stock price.

Even if you felt Leo was right about the direction needed for the company, his execution has been awful. Quick action by the board would be welcome, because splitting the company by channel will be an awful mistake and there is too much history around not to believe that.

Brighthand Reviewer

HP has a bad, bad, bad record with senior management. Carly Fiorina who drove the place into the ground, Patricia Dunn who got dumped for illegal spying, Mark Hurd who got nailed on sexual misconduct, and now Apotheker.

The only ones who haven't been chased out of town are the interim people, Robert Wayman and Cathie Lesjak.

Your Super Moderator
    Atlanta, GA USA Devices: Misc Palm & iProducts

Why does this behavior remind me of the good old "Greed Is Good" 80s, when corporate raiders would swoop in, raid pension funds and then move on to the next victim - er, um, opportunity? Raider, CEO with golden parachute, tomayto, tomahto ...

Employees are inconsequential, worth less than zero.

I am disgusted.
    Experience is what you get when you thought you were getting something else.

Brighthand Forums - The Best Advice At Any Price

m130, Zire 71, Tungsten E, Palm TX, Eee PC, Aspire One, iPod Touch 2G, iPhone 3Gs, iPad, iPhone 4, iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPad Mini-R