When It Comes to Smartphone Screens, Size Matters Discussion

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Brighthand Contributor

Default When It Comes to Smartphone Screens, Size Matters Discussion

In the last few years, the screens on high-end phones have gone from 3.5 inches to 4.3 inches and even bigger. So why all the fuss about screen size, and what impact will the larger viewing areas have on cell phone users?

Read the full content of this Article: When It Comes to Smartphone Screens, Size Matters

Related Articles:

NOT your Average Joe
    Kingsport, TN USA Device: Touchie, the Touch Pro2

Default Re: When It Comes to Smartphone Screens, Size Matters Discussion

Just as many of us have been saying for years (pre iPhone.) The fact is, for anybody to get anything of any substance done, display real estate is paramount. I don't do vids or gaming on my devices, and precious little with pics, but I DO need more than a postage stamp view of documents and my calendar. Display size is a key factor, for me, in using my devices for anything more than an occasional convenience. A good hardware keyboard is 2nd on that list.

I guess I just don't see this as new information or a sudden epiphany, rather a big "DOH! That's what those freaks have been yapping on about all these years!"

Somedays it's not even worth chewing through the restraints...

I should only have to LET the technology work for me. If I have to MAKE the technology work for me, it's not a tool - It's a boat anchor. And I've got better things to do than manage boat anchors, especially if I don't have a boat.

Mobile Consultant

Agreed that screen size is important in getting things done, but doesn't this just mean that we're seeing the return of the PDA/handheld computer?

These feature sets have to eventually diverge because we have totally different use-cases. Who wants a phone that you can't fit in your pocket? I want a handset that feels good in my hand, that has actually been ergonomically designed for talking. These tombstone slabs are ridiculous to hold.

I suppose that with Bluetooth headsets being so common perhaps many people no longer care about a phone's ergonomics, but I still do. I want an ultraportable handheld computer with a big screen—I'm really looking forward to the rumored 5-to-7 inch diagonal iPad if it really will exist. But I'm sick to death of this flood of trays being marketed as phones. My Pre's 3.1" display is about the upper limit of screen size for me, because I actually use my phone as a phone.

Give me rounded corners, light weight, long battery life (OK, I don't have that with the Pre), and ditch the big screen on my phone. It's great that we're seeing bigger screens on handheld devices, but not all handheld devices need to be phones, especially in a world where WiFi tethering is free on your actual phone.
    The Compulsive Splicer
    MP130 - Nino 312 - Palm IIIxe - MP2100 - IIIxe again - Tungsten|T - iPAQ H5550 - Tungsten|T3 - Treo 680 (Copper) - Nokia e61i - iPhone 3G - iPhone - iPhone 3GS. Devices currently in service: iPad, Palm Pre Plus.
    http://splicer.com/

r0k
    Mobile Deity
    (in the Palm of God's Hand *Detroit)....... Device: iPhone 5

I think the iPhone 4 display represents a good compromise of increased resolution coupled with small physical size. I took a look at the Droid X and decided I didn't want something that big protruding from my pocket. I've gotten used to the mediocre typing experience on my iPod Touch so whether I get an Android or an iOS4 phone, I'll opt for a touchscreen model. But I'm far more likely to get a Droid Incredible than a Droid X.

Rumor has it Apple will release a 7 inch version of the iPad. I would go for that as a smaller replacement for my iPad but not as a PDA. For me a PDA has to be pocketable, small and relatively light. It also has to be well built. A keyboard is nice to have but not mandatory. Higher resolution is definitely nice, but not at the expense of having a device that is bigger than an iPhone 4 or Droid Incredible.

I watch movies on my iPad and could watch them on my iPod Touch. I never even bothered downloading the Netflix app for my 'touch. Movies just aren't a priority for me on a pocket device. But I do show family photos, read Kindle books, use docs2go and browse the web. For me these are the killer apps for higher screen resolution, not games and videos.
    -Jeff
    (r0k)

Palm Devices List (updated 10/17/2011)

sharp - early 1990's -> palm iii (late 1998) ... T|T3 -> ipaq 3115
    (returned to store) ->TX ... Treo 650-> 755p ->bb8830+iPod Touch->RAZR M + iPhone5+iPad mini

Banned

For me, I'm not really interested in a smartphone with a screen under 4". Maybe I live in the Twilight Zone; but I just don't think these phones with 4.3" screens are that big. In fact, I find the Droid Incredible to be almost too small in the hand (especially too narrow).

Yes, on occasion, it's nice to have a small, stylish phone, which is something I love about GSM. I could pop out the SIM and put it in a Nokia 8800/Sirocco or something.

NOT your Average Joe
    Kingsport, TN USA Device: Touchie, the Touch Pro2

I agree, Varjak. For me, the PDA / Pocket Computer function has always been paramount - That function is what first drew me to these devices and remains my primary use for them. The addition / integration of a phone function was just a convenience and little else. Function still outweighs form for me and, as I've said before, if I could water down what I use my device for to a few blurb lines here and there, I probably wouldn't need / use it in the first place. I need lots of display real estate and a 1st rate keyboard.

Somedays it's not even worth chewing through the restraints...

I should only have to LET the technology work for me. If I have to MAKE the technology work for me, it's not a tool - It's a boat anchor. And I've got better things to do than manage boat anchors, especially if I don't have a boat.

Mobile Consultant

I agree with JRakes so long as we agree that "The addition / integration of a phone function was just a convenience and little else" means these devices are better handheld computers but not necessarily better phones.

I fought hard for convergence, but now I've come to see that the best phone and the best handheld computer are at cross purposes with one another. I want the best of both so while I'm willing to agree that a 5" (or 7") screen might help make a kick-ass handheld computing device, it would make it a less desirable phone.

I see in the not-so-distant future a scenario where my battery will die and I'll borrow someone's phone only to not figure out how to dial. I'll ask how to make a call with it and the owner of the device will look at me with a confused look on his face and say, "What do you mean, call? It's a phone. You don't talk on it."
    The Compulsive Splicer
    MP130 - Nino 312 - Palm IIIxe - MP2100 - IIIxe again - Tungsten|T - iPAQ H5550 - Tungsten|T3 - Treo 680 (Copper) - Nokia e61i - iPhone 3G - iPhone - iPhone 3GS. Devices currently in service: iPad, Palm Pre Plus.
    http://splicer.com/

TabletPCReview Editor

I wrote a blog post on Brighthand Bytes that's related to this topic:

I am the former Site Editor of Brighthand, but I now run the sister-site TabletPCReview. Follow me on Twitter or Google+

Mobile Deity

Screen sizes changes perception.

When I first got my HTC Diamond I thought the screen was huge. It was a hefty 2.8" screen.

It started felt small after my HTC Magic with its 3.2" screen.

The 3.2" screen of my Magic and later my Droid Eris later felt small after the humongous 3.7" screen of the Nexus One.

After using my Samsung Galaxy S with its 4" screen after a while, I felt my Nexus One screen looked small, to the point I even wondered if it was really any bigger than the 3.2" screen on the Droid Eris.

Bigger screens lead to perception changed. The screens don't change physically, but human perceptions will. My iPod Touch screen with 3.5" really looked small now for me and I hardly ever use even at home to do mobile web browsing.

When 4" screens become the new normal, all screen sizes before it will look small.

Its all about the sliding bar of being "normal".
    I am @guamguy on Twitter.

Banned

Well, Drill, I judge 'normal' by my Palms, and going back to the Vx, all my Palms had biggish screens. I admit that's not the same as a phone; but we're mostly talking PDA-like functions, not 'phone' functions: productivity (e-mail, document viewing/handling, e-reading), PIM, media, games, and now social media/networking and such.

When using 'just a phone,' I barely even looked at the screen (I don't text much). I voice-dialled and answered calls (often with a headset). That's it.