Pre-Review of Nokia's Unannounced N900 Published

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Neighborhood Mobilist

Default Pre-Review of Nokia's Unannounced N900 Published

The Nokia N900 has been an oft-rumored device ever since the roadmap for the Maemo 5 operating system became public knowledge. A website with access to a pre-production unit of this Internet Tablet reviews the device, giving some insight as to how Nokia sees Maemo as part of its device and service-enabling strategy.

Maemo 5 Highlights
    The Nokia N900 will be the first device utilizing the Linux-derived Maemo 5 operating system, a new version that will apparently makes it debut in this model.

CNokia N900 Internet Tabletodenamed Freemantle throughout the course of its development, Maemo 5 will take much of the open source lessons learned from previous Internet Tablet devices and considerably smooth out the user interface and functions.

Nokia N900 Key Features
    Some of the most important features of the N900 will allegedly include:

• An 800 by 480 pixel resistive touchscreen
    • A three-row, sliding, QWERTY keyboard with integrated directional buttons
    • 32 GB of built-in storage
    • Memory card support for up to 32 GB microSD cards
    • A 5 MPx digital camera, with auto-focus and dual-LED flash
    • Built-in accelerometer and GPS receiver
    • GPRS/HSPA-data (not voice) capable on the GSM network (SIM card slot included)
    • 1320 mAh removable battery

It is not certain if there is an additional front-facing camera, though some other leaked shots of the device show this.

What can also be seen from the pre-review is that Maemo will gain PIM functionality with a Calendar, Contacts, threaded SMS (Conversations), and revamped Email application. 

Nokia Maps will be included with Maemo 5, as will a new browser -- possibly based on the Gecko-engine that powers the current Micro-B and Mobile Firefox (Fennec) browsers.

The Music Player and most of the user interface has seen considerable updates in both functionality and design. Maemo 5 is designed to be totally finger-friendly, though it seems that the N900 may include a stylus as part of the package.

Market Positioning
    While hardware and software seem relatively certain, it is not clear just yet where Nokia will position the N900. Right now, the N97 sits at the top of its lineup as the flagship device, though the N900 has a very similar hardware configuration.

Maemo devices have traditionally been geared towards developers and tinkerers; it may be the case, though, that the depth of development in the user interface, combined with Nokia's attention to integrating some of its Ovi services, might render the N900 more applicable to a wider set of power-users.

Announcement and Availability
    The N900 has not yet been formally announced by Nokia. Many online rumors have placed its announcement on Sept. 2, the first day of the Nokia World Conference. It is usually the first day of this conference where Nokia announces major devices and/or services.

Also appearing in many rumors is a price of about 550 Euros ($700-$750 USD). Though this device supports 3G frequencies, including the 1700 MHz band used by T-Mobile USA, there has been no confirmation outside of FCC tests that this device will appear subsidized by any carrier.

Via Mobile Review

Related Articles:

Neighborhood Mobilist

Default Re: Pre-Review of Nokia's Unannounced N900 Published

Speaking personally, I don't feel bad one bit about my N97 in light of this device; I do say though that Maemo 5 offers the kind of direction for Nokia's devices and services that they currently cannot exploit with Symbian - and so I'll probably need to get this device too to see the differences
    If your smartphone is so smart, then why are you spending so much time learning it? Shouldn't it learn you and adapt to your leanings?

Mobile Deity

Maemo has never looked so good. It's really shaping up for prime time now.

However, this device is now a phone, and the unsubsidized price estimates of 700-750 US$ reflect that. I have a hard enough time just trying to save up for the Samsung Mondi (450 US$)-how am I going to afford something that costs nearly twice as much? (And, besides, at that price point, I'd probably end up buying a used/refurbished Dell Latitude XT instead.)
    Current Mobile Computing Loadout:
    Samsung Galaxy S III SPH-L710 + HP EliteBook 2730p

Former Mobile Computer History:
    PDAs: Palm m100 → Palm Tungsten|C → Dell Axim X50v → HP iPAQ hx4700
    Tablet PCs: HP TC1100 → Gateway E-295C -> Fujitsu T5010

Mobile Consultant

Hi,

The comments by NamelessPlayer kind of echo my thoughts on this.

Being an owner of the N800, I had been wondering what the evolution was going to be and this is a great jump from the N800 and the N810.

But they are moving towards a phone integration, of sorts, that does not appeal to me, personally.

I too have been waiting for more info on the Mondi as a replacement, of sorts, at a lower price point.

The rumored price is just not a price I could afford, though this does look very nice and with the pim stuff, very functional for the pda crowd.

David

Neighborhood Mobilist

Ok, stop there folks. Its no more a phone than any other device. A SIM card is not required for you to use it; its simply there as an additional layer of connectivity that can be utilized.

Has that addition (and all the tests that go with it) made the price higher? Yes.

Does that turn it into a phone? No. Tablets could already do VoIP, they were already phones
    If your smartphone is so smart, then why are you spending so much time learning it? Shouldn't it learn you and adapt to your leanings?

Banned

Hook, I agree with you. Except for the ability to avoid a data plan and the better screen resolution (screen size is not mentioned); it's hard to say what this gives you, unless the OS is significantly better.

Hookette's edgy lately

Always nice to be agreed with (although I might point out I didn't say anything).
    Hook's Palm TX Help Page

Past: Palm T2 > Palm TX > Nokia 5800 > HTC Nexus One > Samsung Galaxy Player 5 > Nexus 7 (2012) > LG Nexus 4 (gave to son) > LG Nexus 5

Current:
    Nexus 5, 32 GB,Rooted, Dirty Unicorns ROM 7.5, Android 4.4.4, Franco kernel.
    Nexus 7 (2012) 3G (converted to Grouper wifi only), Rooted, Dirty Unicorns 7.5, Android 4.4.4, Franco Kernel.

Unhappy Re: Pre-Review of Nokia's Unannounced N900 Published

I am a real gadget freak and usually get excited about each brand new toy, last time about the Hero. Not so this time, it is just another Linux phone coming to market.
    Frankly speaking there is nothing really brand new with this toy: I haven't got any clue about some outstanding feature!! Or did i miss something?
    Hardware like a mixture of N97 & E75, Software more or less Maemo but more widgets. Anything else??

In addition i imagine that all those owners of a N97 will be more than lucky to hear that their huge money transfer towards Nokia was just to melk an aging cash-cow (S60) for the last time and now it will be retired.

Neighborhood Mobilist

Quote Originally Posted by loriot View Post
    I am a real gadget freak and usually get excited about each brand new toy, last time about the Hero. Not so this time, it is just another Linux phone coming to market.
    Frankly speaking there is nothing really brand new with this toy: I haven't got any clue about some outstanding feature!! Or did i miss something?
    Hardware like a mixture of N97 & E75, Software more or less Maemo but more widgets. Anything else??

In addition i imagine that all those owners of a N97 will be more than lucky to hear that their huge money transfer towards Nokia was just to melk an aging cash-cow (S60) for the last time and now it will be retired.
    This is a pre-review of unannounced hardware, and announced but not demonstrated outside of a testing board piece of software...

...there's more than can be revealed about it. One should wait until the official announcement
    ---
    Maemo is more than *just another Linux distro* or *something else with widgets.* But again, with the dearth of platforms, I don't expect all to get the minute differences and targets of each one.

Maemo is differentiated in that it is now what Android is hoping to be. The telephony aspects of the platform are new (and evolving) to the platform. The development model is not something any other major hardware manufacturers are undertaking. There's a reason why they aren't, but you'd have to read the pre-review linked to the news piece to read that one.
    ---

Any N97 owner that is miffed about this device because they bought theirs didn't do their homework. They deserve feelings of shame IMO.

Hookette's edgy lately

With the PIM functionality, and particularly if they can sync with OVI, this will be added to my 2010 wish/watch list.
    Hook's Palm TX Help Page

Past: Palm T2 > Palm TX > Nokia 5800 > HTC Nexus One > Samsung Galaxy Player 5 > Nexus 7 (2012) > LG Nexus 4 (gave to son) > LG Nexus 5

Current:
    Nexus 5, 32 GB,Rooted, Dirty Unicorns ROM 7.5, Android 4.4.4, Franco kernel.
    Nexus 7 (2012) 3G (converted to Grouper wifi only), Rooted, Dirty Unicorns 7.5, Android 4.4.4, Franco Kernel.