Dell Wasabi Ultramobile Photo Printer Review Discussion

Closed Thread

Arrow Dell Wasabi Ultramobile Photo Printer Review Discussion

Remember the days when you would "shake it like a Polaroid picture?" Well, OutKast may want to consider revising those lyrics because Dell has introduced a new player in the inkless printer world, the Dell Wasabi.

A variety of devices, from smartphones to cameras to laptops, can send images to this accessory, and have them printed out at 2 by 3 inches.

Read the full content of this Article: Dell Wasabi Ultramobile Photo Printer Review

Nokia N800 + HTC Wizard
    Arkansas (In The Middle of Absolutely Nowhere) Device: Nokia N800

Default Re: Dell Wasabi Ultramobile Photo Printer Review

I have been looking at these for a while, and I want one. I find the Polaroid comment a bit ironic because Polaroid (and Kodak, IIRC) actually does make one just like Dell's called the PoGo. It uses the same paper, too.

I can confirm that since the iPhone does not support sending and receiving files via BT (and anything else that isn't a mono headset), it will not work with an iPhone (But it will work with a three-year-old freebie Nokia. ). Polaroid says this, and they actually did have something telling any iUser to take it to Apple if they wanted to use this. I wonder if iPhone 3.0 will do it, or if Apple will cripple it?

I found the statement on Polaroid's site:
    FAQs

Why is the iPhone not compatible?

Sorry! The Apple iPhone and iPhone 3G are not compatible.
    Although the iPhone includes Bluetooth, there currently is no Bluetooth transfer capabilities such as "send via Bluetooth".
    If you would like to encourage Apple to become compatible with our printer, please click here or contact Apple directly at 1-800-MY-IPHONE (1-800-694-7466) and request Apple consider enabling the Bluetooth transfer profile (OPP) in their phones.
    Past and current devices: Palm m505 (Sold) > Palm Zire 71 (nonfunctional working) > Tapwave Zodiac 1 (nonfunctional) > Palm Tungsten T5 (nonfunctional tenatively functioning) + SE w300i + 2GB SanDisk SD + Cheap $5 keyboard (that works…)(sold) > Cingular 8125 (retired) + 2GB MicroSD in adapter > Nokia N800 + 4GB SDHC + 8125's 2GB MicroSD in adapter + Palm M505

Life is a circus!

The Palm Centro, as far as I know, only have Bluetooth 1.2, so if you were able to pair it, then BT 2.0 isn't required.
    This Signature Line Intentionally Left Blank

TabletPCReview Editor

Quote Originally Posted by SarahM
    I did have one quasi-negative reaction; one of my relatives pointed out (somewhat sarcastically) that the Wasabi has been around for about twenty years and it was called a Polaroid camera.
    There's an easy response to this: Polaroid stopped offering its Instamatic cameras and film a few years ago, and is selling ZINK printers and cameras instead. Even Polaroid thinks this is a better option.

-
    I am the former Site Editor of Brighthand, but I now run the sister-site TabletPCReview. Follow me on Twitter or Google+

OldSurfDog

Quote Originally Posted by jigwashere View Post
    The Palm Centro, as far as I know, only have Bluetooth 1.2, so if you were able to pair it, then BT 2.0 isn't required.
    That would be true.

I was very surprised to read that it worked with a Centro after I read that it requires BT 2.0.
    I would rather surf the ocean than the net. Cowabunga!

Dell states on their site that it needs a Bluetooth 2.0 connection but I got the Wasabi to pair with both a brand new Centro and my really old (in my opinion) Samsung cell phone. Not sure why it worked, but it did!

Also - Polaroid has two PoGo products available: an ultramobile printer similar to the Wasabi and a digital camera/printer combo. You can get more information about either on Polaroid.com

Hope that helps!