Apple WWDC Predictions for Monday

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mobile Enthusiast

Default Apple WWDC Predictions for Monday

by Perry Longinotti

Apple's WWDC is next week and I have been thinking about what we could see.

I don't think this is the venue for hardware upgrades. Faster processors for Pro Macs and LED backlights for MacBooks are not keynote-worthy announcements. They will be rolled into small events on Apple premises, or might not warrant any fanfare at all.

A 3G iPhone and updated .Mac service (probably rebranded) are very likely. With 3G data connecting you to an expanded .Mac service, and the power of the iPhone could we finally see the true potential of cloud computing realised? My dusty forgotten and neglected .Mac account expires on Tuesday. If my prediction is wrong, I probably won't renew.

About that iPhone; I think there will be two variants (both 3G):

iPhone Pro

• Similar look - metal, glass
    • Slightly smaller
    • 16 and 32 GB
    • GPS
    • Exchange and Blackberry support
    • Lots of coporate apps and certifications: Salesforce, CRM, ERP
    • Full price

iPhone

• White or black plastic
    • slightly fatter
    • 8 or 16 GB
    • GPS - more lifestyle centric
    • Mobile Me
    • Lots of fun features - games from EA, Ubi and Sega
    • Available on subsidy from all carriers - from $199 on a 3 year contract

I'll also guess that we will see a milestone number of applications at the launch of App Store. 1000 is a good round number. It's a developer conference so expect some big names on stage to discuss how easy it is to port apps to iPhone from Mac and other platforms.

Will we see other devices? I don't think so. The tablet form factor computer I predicted last time around is more of a MacWorld type announcement - if it ever passes Steve's QA process.

Mobile Deity

Default Re: Apple WWDC Predictions for Monday

Hmmm ... iPhone Pro, 3 year contract, Mobile Me! Interesting!

iPhone 4, iPhone 3G, Plantronics 320, Mac OS 10.6.3 on a 15" MacBook Pro, Airport LAN & WiFi, att.net, PDA path: Palm i705 (2004 - son)=> Palm Tungsten TX (4/06 - sold) => Nokia 6682 (7/06 - 7/08) => iPhone 3G (7/08 - 7/10 now used by son) => iPhone 4 (7/10 - current w/ work SIM) & Nokia (?)(7/10 - current w/ home SIM)
    Review of iPhone/iPod Touch Apps
    Day One (iPhone)
    How to transfer Mac Palm Data 2 iPhone

Handheld Junkie

So what incentive is there for AT&T to relinquish it's 5 year exclusivity contract with Apple?

I think there's going to be a new Iphone that won't be any smaller than the existing one, it'll have 3g & GPS. I believe if there are any subsidies to be given out, they'll be for existing 2g phones, not the new ones.
    Timepilot84
    Newton MessagePad 130-> Just about every Palm OS, Windows Mobile and Linux PDA or Smartphone ever sold-> Samsung Blackjack 2 -> iPhone 3G -> iPhone 3GS -> Verizon Droid

Neighborhood Mobilist

US carriers won't do three year deals.
    It would also not make much sense to have 2 3G models that would essentially be speced so close to one another.

My hunch says to pay attention to the iPod more than the iPhone, but I've been known to negate my last name from time to time.

aka Gdog

my guesses are:
    -Gps
    -updated UI
    -3G
    -new software.

My hopes are:
    -flash web browsing
    -office software
    (these are nice but lets not bet on them happening)

Mac user!

Problem+good attitude=A chance to learn something

Gdog's PDA history-palm z22, Ipod touch

Mobile Enthusiast

This is like Christmas time.

I just hope the new phone is available at launch or soon after - I want one.
    Last edited by plongin; 06-07-2008 at 11:11 PM.
    Current: iPhone w39
    Old: Philips Nino, HP Jornada 545, Diamond Mako, Sony Clie T415, Casio EM500 (Red), Tungsten T, Nokia NGage QD, Orange SPV-E100, Orange SPV-C500, Siemens SX1, Dell Axim X5, Tungsten T5, Treo 650, Sony Clie TG50, Nokia E61, Sony Ericsson P910a

Mobile Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by timepilot84 View Post
    So what incentive is there for AT&T to relinquish it's 5 year exclusivity contract with Apple?

I think there's going to be a new Iphone that won't be any smaller than the existing one, it'll have 3g & GPS. I believe if there are any subsidies to be given out, they'll be for existing 2g phones, not the new ones.
    Who says they have to?

AT&T is pushing for subsidies, not Apple. The lower end model makes the carriers happy.

I don't think you will see too many 2g phones being released by any carrier anymore. Even 2.5g stuff is going away as the 3G networks are being deployed. Even free phones are going to have good video calling soon (this Christmas at the latest).
    Old: Philips Nino, HP Jornada 545, Diamond Mako, Sony Clie T415, Casio EM500 (Red), Tungsten T, Nokia NGage QD, Orange SPV-E100, Orange SPV-C500, Siemens SX1, Dell Axim X5, Tungsten T5, Treo 650, Sony Clie TG50, Nokia E61, Sony Ericsson P910a

Mobile Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by AWright View Post
    US carriers won't do three year deals.
    It would also not make much sense to have 2 3G models that would essentially be speced so close to one another.

My hunch says to pay attention to the iPod more than the iPhone, but I've been known to negate my last name from time to time.
    That's my guess on the 3 year contract price (popular up here in Canada). 2 and 1 year contracts will be less (just like carriers do now with other phones). Why not try a three year contract? If they can get you for longer, why wouldn't they try?

As for the phones, I imagine the guts will be close. Differentiation will be RAM, form factor and built in apps.

Kids do not need Exchange support, but Facebook and MobileMe would be cool for them.

I am just a wannabe Product Manager, so who knows?

Neighborhood Mobilist

Quote Originally Posted by plongin View Post
    That's my guess on the 3 year contract price (popular up here in Canada). 2 and 1 year contracts will be less (just like carriers do now with other phones). Why not try a three year contract? If they can get you for longer, why wouldn't they try?

As for the phones, I imagine the guts will be close. Differentiation will be RAM, form factor and built in apps.

Kids do not need Exchange support, but Facebook and MobileMe would be cool for them.

I am just a wannabe Product Manager, so who knows?
    ATT would not be able to get away with a 3yr contract on a phone that is an upgrade on something that was new the year before. People like deals, but not silly ones like that, even if the price is good.

As for being a prouct manager, push em to get it out faster and cheaper and and revolutionary in each revision and I'm happy

Tinkerer & Dealer

I'd expect a 32GB in the subsidized versions. People are not going to go corporate for 32GB only.