Developer Brings Google Maps My Location Service to Palm OS

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Neighborhood Mobilist

Default Developer Brings Google Maps My Location Service to Palm OS

Google's My Location feature has received a good amount of positive press for being a pseudo-GPS solution for mobile devices with Google Maps. However, Palm OS smartphones have been left out of being able to use this feature... until now. An enterprising developer has created an alternative usable on GSM Treos called MyLocation.

Both Google's My Location and the third-party alternative work the same way: they approximate a user's location based on the location of the cell tower the smartphone is connected to.  This is like GPS, though not as accurate. It can locate the user within approximately 1000 m on average.

Razix MyLocation is free, but comes with location based advertising. The ads can be removed with a donation of $10 or more.

It requires the latest version of Google Maps (ver: 1.2.0.9) and a compatable Palm OS Treo (600, 650 and 680).

For more information, visit the Razix's MyLocation web site.

Related Articles:

Via PalmInfocenter

That's all folks...

Default Re: Developer Brings Google Maps My Location Service to Palm OS

Well, GSM has been fixed. Have you heard anything on whether there will be a fix for CDMA?
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Wonder Palmstress

What? The 650 and not the 755p?? I was so excited to read this until I realized I was left out.

Edit: Scratch that I just realized that's GSM, so yea...what hc said...what about CDMA?

That's all folks...

Yeah, no CDMA support yet. *sigh* So we get high speed internet, unlike the GSM Treo, but we don't get My Location. At least... not yet.

Wonder Palmstress

Quote Originally Posted by headcronie View Post
    Yeah, no CDMA support yet. *sigh* So we get high speed internet, unlike the GSM Treo, but we don't get My Location. At least... not yet.
    I'm going to hang my "hope" on the "not yet" part of your statement.

That's all folks...

Yeah, me too!

Life is a circus!

I know where I am. The spammer's know where I am. Why doesn't my phone know where I am?

I sure wish I could get out of here....
    This Signature Line Intentionally Left Blank

Neighborhood Mobilist

CDMA PalmOS Treos are a bit different in how they hide that info (according to chats with a Palm OS developer some time ago). I doubt that it will come for CDMA PalmOS Treos unless Palm works on it themselves.
    If your smartphone is so smart, then why are you spending so much time learning it? Shouldn't it learn you and adapt to your leanings?

Mobile Consultant

I bet that Palm will release an official fix for the GSM & CDMA Centros and *nothing* else.

So if my theory proves to be correct, that's all POS Treos/Centros covered other than the CDMA 650/700p/755p. Oh well, at least 700/755p users have EVDO bragging rights to their credit.

Neighborhood Mobilist

Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    I bet that Palm will release an official fix for the GSM & CDMA Centros and *nothing* else.

So if my theory proves to be correct, that's all POS Treos/Centros covered other than the CDMA 650/700p/755p. Oh well, at least 700/755p users have EVDO bragging rights to their credit.
    Palm has only stated that they will update the latest models with the myLocation feature. This would seem to include the Centro and possibly the 755p. The 650 and 700 have been phaszed out for sometime now and do not see updates unless they are generic updates that are not major system enhancements. The 680 is a weird one, as its only a bit more than a year old, but the Centro has clearly moved into its spot.
    If your smartphone is so smart, then why are you spending so much time learning it? Shouldn't it learn you and adapt to your leanings?