Another Hint Palm Is Considering a Foleo II

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    TabletPCReview Editor

Default Another Hint Palm Is Considering a Foleo II

When Palm announced it was canceling the Foleo Mobile Companion on the eve of its launch, the company's CEO said he still saw potential in this class of devices.

To add support to this, there's evidence that the company has started to think about a Foleo II.

A Change Is in the Offing

Before the cancellation, Palm distributed a few Foleo units to people willing to sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA) on proprietary details of this device. It has since sent an email to this group asking for the units back.

Palm's reasoning for this, as indicated by the email, is that the device will do them no good, because a Foleo II will have different hardware.

Of course, no details are given on what that new hardware will be, but at least it shows that Palm is thinking about it..

What Little We Know

Not surprisingly, little has been said about the Foleo II. Still, Palm's CEO Ed Colligan has expressed confidence that it will be released at some point.

"When we do Foleo II it will be based on our new platform, and we think it will deliver on the promise of this new category," he wrote on his company's blog.

Colligan is referring to his company's upcoming Linux-based operating system, which many are referring to as Palm OS II.

The primary reason given for canceling the first Foleo was that it would have used a different operating system from any of Palm's smartphones or handhelds.

Related Articles

TabletPCReview Editor

Default Re: Another Hint Palm Is Considering a Foleo II

While I wouldn't classify this as grasping at straws, I'll admit the evidence I cited is fairly tenuous. But, like Colligan and Hawkins, I see merit in the Mobile Companion concept, and I'm hoping a Foleo II is eventually released.
    I am the former Site Editor of Brighthand, but I now run the sister-site TabletPCReview. Follow me on Twitter or Google+

Pretty Good Member

When the units are returned, is the NDA therby dissolved? In other words, did you return yours, Ed?

By the way, what ever happende to the other Palm OS II? Was it ever officially killed off?
    Thanks, Robrecht

Endogame

I'm skeptical about a second device coming (though I'm supportive of the device class). If the climate won't be any different next year, why not release the Foleo 1 and start proving critics wrong now and building a base to buy the Foleo 2? No matter what the cause of the cancellation actually was, Critics and carriers won't be changing, so the only thing Palm has any hope of changing would be design--and I'm not clear on what flaws/shortcomings Palm sees in the device.

Personally, I think they got it right, though I never got see how they executed remote desktop (to me, potentially the most powerful feature).
    Project Ara ~ Designed exclusively for 6 billion people.
    DIMPLE ~ Android NFC Buttons!

TabletPCReview Editor

Quote Originally Posted by robrecht View Post
    When the units are returned, is the NDA therby dissolved? In other words, did you return yours, Ed?
    I never had one, so I don't know the terms of the NDA. It's an unusual situation.

By the way, what ever happende to the other Palm OS II? Was it ever officially killed off?
    I don't know what you're referring to.
    I am the former Site Editor of Brighthand, but I now run the sister-site TabletPCReview. Follow me on Twitter or Google+

TabletPCReview Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Mi An View Post
    I'm skeptical about a second device coming (though I'm supportive of the device class). If the climate won't be any different next year, why not release the Foleo 1 and start proving critics wrong now and building a base to buy the Foleo 2?
    As Colligan stated, the Foleo I was canceled because it would have run a completely different operating system from all of Palm's other products, forcing the company to spend a great deal of resources writing code that applies to only one product. That will still be true next year, which is why Palm will never release the Foleo I.

No matter what the cause of the cancellation actually was, Critics and carriers won't be changing, so the only thing Palm has any hope of changing would be design--and I'm not clear on what flaws/shortcomings Palm sees in the device.
    Palm clearly sees one major flaw: it would have had an incompatible operating system. That's what's going to change in the Foleo II.

I also expect Palm to address many of the other criticisms of this device in the next version.

Pretty Good Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hardy View Post
    I don't know what you're referring to.
    IIRC, it was Palm OS 6 or Cobalt or something like that. I think it was announced, released, and at least one revision was developed, but then over a year passed without new devices being released with this operating system and then I stared hearing abou the next generation Linux kernal OS. I wasn't following Palm closely at the time 'cause I had gone over to the dark side. Was this operating system ever released on a device?
    Thanks, Robrecht

r0k
    Mobile Deity
    (in the Palm of God's Hand *Detroit)....... Device: iPhone 5

Quote Originally Posted by robrecht View Post
    IIRC, it was Palm OS 6 or Cobalt or something like that. I think it was announced, released, and at least one revision was developed, but then over a year passed without new devices being released with this operating system and then I stared hearing abou the next generation Linux kernal OS. I wasn't following Palm closely at the time 'cause I had gone over to the dark side. Was this operating system ever released on a device?
    Cobalt was stillborn some years ago. Nobody signed on to use it and it is really really dead. Palm OS II is a new version of Palm OS that runs on a Linux Kernel. ALP (Access Linux Platform) is a new version of Palm OS that runs on a Linux Kernel but nobody has signed on to use it. It is being developed by the former Palmsource folks that developed, or shall I say never finished Cobalt.

I know it's confusing, but there are 3 entries in the Palmos race right now. There is that tired old nag Garnet, then there's Palmos II and then there's ALP. Most folks are betting on Palmos II to eventually win the race. What most of us are upset about is the recent announcement that there would be no Palmos II smartphones for 12 to 18 months. That's a really long time to wait after we've already waited far too long.

As if things weren't confusing enough, the Foleo ran another Linux entirely and it wouldn't have been able to run any Palmos apps. Foleo 2 will most likely run Palm OS II. In another thread, I said I wish they would release an x86 version of Linux to use existing Linux apps, but in light of their need to only support one OS at a time, they won't be doing anything differently on Foleo 2 versus their new Palmos II smartphones.

hope this helps
    -Jeff
    (r0k)

Palm Devices List (updated 10/17/2011)

sharp - early 1990's -> palm iii (late 1998) ... T|T3 -> ipaq 3115
    (returned to store) ->TX ... Treo 650-> 755p ->bb8830+iPod Touch->RAZR M + iPhone5+iPad mini

Brighthand Reviewer

Oh, Cobalt has been dead for a long long time, long before even the Palm Linux project at PalmSource, ALP at Access, or the unnamed "Palm OS II" project at Palm Inc. It only made it onto one pre-production device which never saw actual availability.

Wheezer

Talking Re: Another Hint Palm Is Considering a Foleo II

Well, whatever they are planning they better act fast!

They have wasted years making subtle modifications to the treo while neglecting the life drive / PDA lines which although initially quite profitable is really starting to hit them in the pocketbook. They really need to take a leap of faith here and burn some serious cash on Research and Development and come up with some innovative.

Its a risky business anyway you slice it. Look at Sony. The PS3 had the potential really hurt them (and it appears it may still do so!). XBOX/ 360 has made microsoft any money. However, with so much competition you can only be king of the hill if you are willing to (and can afford to: ) stay on top.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast