Nice going, Ed

Closed Thread

Thread: Nice going, Ed

Mobile Evangelist

Default Nice going, Ed

Congratulations on devaluing this forum, which was always one of the best and most popular, to the point where NOBODY CAN EVEN FIND IT!

If you choose "Windows Forum" from the front page of Brighthand it takes you to http://forum.brighthand.com/windows-mobile/ which says "vBulletin Message
    Invalid Forum specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator". If you then choose "Brighthand.com - SmartPhone and PDA Discussion" you will find way down the list "Windows Phone" which isn't really what it is at all, it's the archive of the old PocketPC/Windows Mobile discussions which have nothing to do with Windows Phone.

Older 'n louder w/KB envy

Default Re: Nice going, Ed

if the main sub-forum was "Windows Phones and PDAs" (that way it isn't at all implicit that it is only WP7) would you be happy, as well as the link being fixed? I'm just a bystander who has his own issues with BH, but IME, suggesting how to correct a problem can be a useful strategy.
    My useful BH links -- BH FAQS/repair options/digitizer discussions
    ~"Friends are the Fambly we choose" ~"Shared pain is diminished, shared joy is increased"
    ~inanimate objects are smarter than we give them credit for~our lives are too short to not help others
    ~"when you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it" Dilbert 9/22/09
    ~RAiD: making no decision is really making the choice to do nothing, about something
    ~The beauty of learning to let go of anger and those things we cannot change is that you can make choices
    and deal with things on your own terms and not have them affect your whole day or those around you.

TabletPCReview Editor

Thanks for the heads up, I've sent a request to the Admins to fix the bad link.

As the for the name problem, it's not Brighthand's fault but Microsoft's. Even in the days of Windows Mobile, Microsoft refered to these devices as Windows phones.

And now that Windows Mobile 6.5 is just about gone and Windows Phone 7 is in, there doesn't seem to be a point in creating separate forums.

-
    I am the former Site Editor of Brighthand, but I now run the sister-site TabletPCReview. Follow me on Twitter or Google+

Mobile Evangelist

Just because it has Windows in the name doesn't mean they are the same. Some people still use WinMo and aren't intending to go to Phone. It's a total wipe, new game. The old forum should have been left for legacy and maybe eventually retired, and a new forum created. This is what's happening at XDA-developers and greatly reduces confusion, as well as maintains access to legacy stuff without having it mixed in with new, irrelevant stuff. Plus the new Phone guys will have to wade (and do searches through) all that old WinMo stuff. Performance hit on your system.

It's your board, do what you think best, but I don't like it the way it is.

Marc

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hardy View Post
    Thanks for the heads up, I've sent a request to the Admins to fix the bad link.

As the for the name problem, it's not Brighthand's fault but Microsoft's. Even in the days of Windows Mobile, Microsoft refered to these devices as Windows phones.

And now that Windows Mobile 6.5 is just about gone and Windows Phone 7 is in, there doesn't seem to be a point in creating separate forums.

-

Brighthand Reviewer

Technically, it's not Ed's board. He may manage Brighthand, but a lot of his options are limited by what he has to work with from the parent company.

Banned

It doesn't really affect me; but I have to agree with the point (not the tone) of the OP. They really are different, and with 'space' not really an issue, I think they deserve separate forums.