Average size of movie files?? re:Ripped DVD's

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Mobile Enthusiast

Question Average size of movie files?? re:Ripped DVD's

I'm considering buying a new SD/CF memory card to allow me to watch rip's of some of my DVD's. What's the average file size if you rip a movie from DVD? I have a 128MB SD card at the moment, but I don't want to spend a ton of money on a bigger card if I don't have to. Thanks in advance.

I see fragged people...

Size depends on lots of factors:

1) resolution of encoding
    2) video bit rates used
    3) MPEG format
    4) sound sampling rates
    5) stereo vs. mono
    6) frame rate

etc...

I've seen 150 minute MPEG 1 movies take up roughly 500MB. I'm sure you'll get better results out of MPEG4/DiVX.
    ==========================
    Current PDA: HP hx4700 w/ 4gig Hitachi MD + 512MB SD card, imate JAM w/ 1gig SD card

Mobile Evangelist

My regular DVD-rip Divx video for one movie is about 700MB.

Since PPC screen is so small, I usually compress it even more because it's barely noticable on the quality sometimes. I use Divx along with lame-mp3 encoding. It usually compress down to 200-250MB.

If you have CF slot, 512MB isn't too expensive. If you only have SD slot, 256MB is at pretty good price, 512 is too expensive. I guess if you have BOTH, get 2 256MB, 1 CF($50), 1SD($70). That's plenty of space to store anything at a pretty cheap price

Mobile Enthusiast

I dont have that much expierience with ripping DVDs for a Pocket PC.

But from what I understand it is easy possible to fit one movie into a 256 MB card. Of course you have to decode it with DivX.

I was once also very intresed in this topic and looked a little bit on the net for tips. You will also find a lot of tips here in this forum.

One is that is better to use SD cards instead of CF cards. The point is not really the speed more the power consumption and processor consumption.
    I dont have a SD card jet so I dont know if its true, but it makes sence to me.

I myself use pocket MVP
    http://home.adelphia.net/~mdukette/
    it is great and I have much better performance than PocketDivx and it should support DivX 5 (havent tried jet)

So my suggestion, buy a 256SD card. It is worth the mony.

Erik

iPAQ 2215

Cool

If you follow the instructions at PocketMatrix you'll wind up with a good-looking (on the PPC) file that's about 200 MB. So a 256 MB card should suffice.

Full length movies for the PC can range from ~600 MB (medium quality) to over 1 GB (high quality).

Mobile Evangelist

don't forget to rip it and watch it on the ppc, not the desktop to judge quality. being 320x240 or smaller, it will look like crap on the desktop. someone never tested it and thought it would look crappy on the ppc, so kept trying and trying and trying. poor guy took awhile to figure it out
    if the best things in life are free, why are the next best so expensive...

Mobile Consultant

Originally posted by Covert
    If you follow the instructions at PocketMatrix you'll wind up with a good-looking (on the PPC) file that's about 200 MB. So a 256 MB card should suffice.

Full length movies for the PC can range from ~600 MB (medium quality) to over 1 GB (high quality).
    That's a very nice guide. I've been wanting to play around with watching movies on my PPC, but haven't taken the time to research the best way to do it. What about standard avi's that you already have stored on your computer? What's the best way to handle them?
    Check out my discussion board at www.wegotgames.com for a variety of topics, including Star Wars, Transformers, computer and console gaming, and handhelds. Everyone is welcome!!!

Mobile Enthusiast

Thanks for the input all. I am mainly looking at this for viewing on a PPC, as I have been traveling quite a bit lately. The only ripped movies that I view on my PC are MST3K episodes.

Senior Advisor

I have ripped about a dozen of my DVDs for playback while traveling. I know that DivX is popular, I dislike the format and stay clear of it. (The Divx codec needs "room to work", and doesn't do well with ultra-low bitrates.)

I have had great success encoding movies to wmv format, with a total bitrate of 100K. Playback quality was surprisingly good on my BE-300, and looks equally well on my Maestro.

These work out to about 35-40MB per hour of video.

And as others have stated, the true test is on the device itself. The perceived quality depends on various factors and quality of the screen and brightness, sharpness, and contrast play into that.
    Tom Perconti (aka SpeedRacer - Lancelot of the Information Superhighway)
    speedZone: soup up your Pocket PC!
    PPX3k - Home of PPX for PPC

Mobile Consultant

It really depends on how picky you are about how it looks and sounds. I got a 2 hour movie down to 50 mb using Divx. It looks decent and sounds decent as far as I'm concerned. Since I'll really only put movies on my PPC that I've already seen, I see no reason to make sure it's a perfectly clear picture. Also depends what I'm doing. If I'm going on a plane flight or something, I'll go with multiple movies each at 50 mb on a 256 mb card, usually 4, leaving space for everything I have installed on my SD card. But normally, it's one movie around 150 mb, pretty much just to show off to people.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast