*eBooks*: is there a secondary market for used ebooks? Can you sell them used?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mobile Consultant

Exclamation *eBooks*: is there a secondary market for used ebooks? Can you sell them used?

Let's say I'm considering buying & reading the book "Jack Welch & The G.E. Way". I notice I can buy the physical book used on Amazon for $14. After reading it, I can sell it back on Amazon used for about the same price. Net cost is minimal (Amazon commissions).

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0070581045/

Then I look at the ebook version. There's no option for buying or selling it used. Thus I have to pay $25.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005S8SM/

If it's illegal to resell ebooks, the price of ebooks needs to come down dramatically. The only reason I'm interested in ebooks is because I don't like physical objects that take up space and collect dust. That's why I buy used books, read & resell it used on Amazon; I don't like stuff lying around and piling up.

So from a personal standpoint, the physical book route costs me maybe $2 (net). The ebook route costs $25. Ebook download costs for publishers is minimal. So if they want to increase ebook sales, they need to bring down the prices dramatically.

Mobile Enthusiast

ummm, i hope you are joking. obviously you cannot sell used software since it is in the same condition as it was new.

Mobile Enthusiast

Thats exactly why e-book pricing that is anywhere near regular book pricing is complely bogus. This of course applies to magazines as well.

I guess they'll start raising paperback prices up to hardback levels next. They say its a portability premium or something.
    HP Jornada 568 & Psion 5mx user

Mostly Harmless

Used E-Books? LMAO. By the time an E-Book is released the hardcover version is already out there. Probably in .txt format but out there. Everybody but Baen has the wrong business model IMVHO. Sell the advanced copy cheap and if it's a good story and useful to them folks will add it to there real world libraries. Well at least in the entertainment market anyway.

Don't Panic!
    Bobby
    Don't Panic!
    Bobby
    Backup, Backup, Backup!
    MS-MVP, Mobile Devices

Small screen skinner

Yes, why can't ebooks be sold as used? You can sell used cds, paper-books, magazines....

With this secure encryption it shouldn't be impossible...aren't all sold, encrypted e-books identified by the owners activation - in other words: unique copies? Why can't that ownership be transfered to someone else?

Mostly Harmless

I'm sure the encryption process can be circumvented but It would be illegal under existing laws. That's why Baen gives away, Yes that right, gives away a lot of it's books. Before you download any of the forty books available read Eric Flint's Introduction to the Baen Free Library. Baen is making money with this system. The other publishers don't seem to understand this. Of course Sci-Fi and Fantasy are a niche market and Baen is one of the last big independent publishing houses around. Not being part of a Conglomerate whose only interest is the bottom line gives them a freedom that benefits readers as well as their bottom line.

Don't Panic!
    Bobby
    Don't Panic!
    Bobby
    Backup, Backup, Backup!
    MS-MVP, Mobile Devices

Mobile Deity

Originally posted by shaklee
    ummm, i hope you are joking. obviously you cannot sell used software since it is in the same condition as it was new.
    I respectfully disagree with your premise and conclusion. You can legally sell all your rights to a CD, or piece of software, you have purchased. Once you purchase the software, you own all the rights to that software (including the right to resell). For instance, there's a huge market for used CD's -- and the CD you sell to the reseller is the exact same condition (e.g., digital) as it was when it was new. But you're not breaking any laws doing so (and the reseller isn't breaking any laws buying it from you and selling it to another party). Of course, you cannot retain a digital copy of either once you sell it -- otherwise you ARE breaking copyright laws.
    JK27

Current: iPhone 4S
    Retired: Sprint HTC Touch, Verizon xv6700, HP iPAQ 4155 & 2215, Audiovox Maestro, Cassiopeia E-115, E-105,
    E-100 & E-11, Compaq Aero 1550, IBM Z50 HPC, Sharp Wizard 9600II

you cannot sell used software since it is in the same condition as it was new.
    I also disagree, as the poster did before me. What is needed is a honorable method to sell certified ebooks of sorts. If there was a forum set up where each legitamate e-book was accompanied by a certificate, then it could be monitored and audited as any other commodity.

Sadly, such a forum does not exist, nor does the infrastructure where ebooks are certified by a physical certificate to be passed on the the new owner, neither does a secure digital resource exist where the current owner is listed and may be changed. Until a critical mass of authors gets their rumpus in gear and create such a system then ebooks will continue to be rife with infringements, but once in place such a system will work, and work wonderfully well. I'm sure of it. There are enough honest and upright individuals that will participate in such a system to prove its efficacy.

The authors will continue to make money too because they can control the number of copies available.

Will there still be piracy? Of course, but you'd be surprised how many people are honest because it helps them sleep better at night. Enough honest people to make a good ebook author rich. Not everyone keeps the law out of fear. For example: look at the nearly unenforceable as a seat-belt law. People keep it out of being honest, and 10,000's lives have been saved as a result.
    -iPAQgeek (Dave)
    ----------------
    "Don't find fault. Find a remedy" - Henry Ford

I haven't looked into it, but I've seen libraries participate in ebook checkout system. I heard it was for books on tape but the name was ebook.

I agree that there will eventually be an encryption method to make buying and selling ebooks more like the paper brethren. I hate paper books - they take up shelf space and are difficult to read laying down on your side with one hand
    -kathy
    www.kathyandcalvin.com
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    How valuable is my contribution? Share your feedback at Affero:
    http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=harriska2
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mobile Consultant

Since I have 50mb of ebooks in lit format, I will use ebook reader instead of tomeraider. Man will I miss that speed...

Now where can I get free Edgar Allen Poe stuff?
    Past PDA's:
    iPAQ 3635, iPAQ 3765, iPAQ 3835, iPAQ 3955, Toshiba e310, Jornada 525, 547
    Casio E-125@204mHz with 1GB Microdrive

Present PDA:
    iPAQ 2215
    256mb SD

Looking for 512mb or 1GB CF