Palm Desktop and Hotsync no longer work

Closed Thread

Default Palm Desktop and Hotsync no longer work

I'm running Windows Xp pro and about a week ago I started gettting error messages everytime I booted the computer basicaly saying that hotsync had a problem and had to close. If I try to open Palm Desktop I also get the following application errors.

"The instruction at "0x77e7a67a" referenced memory at "0x011d4eec". The memory could not be written."

and:

"The instruction at "0x77e7a67a" referenced memory at "0x011d4f8c". The memory could not be written."

I have done the following:
    1. reinstalled palm desktop
    2. updated palm desktop
    3. uninstalled XP updates and reinstalled palm desktop
    4. Reinstalled XP and reinstalled palm desktop
    5. created a new admin account and reinstalled palm desktop

Nothing has helped. Any ideas?

Pete

Moderate Superator

I noticed you did not mention uninstalling the Palm desktop software before reinstalling. If you have in fact not done so, try doing so, then reinstall the latest version of the Palm desktop software.
    Steven G. Tyler, Esq.

The Computer Counselor -- Technology Consulting for the Law Office

I should have mentioned that, but yes, I did uninstall it first. Didn't help.

Moderate Superator

That's a tough one, elliswon. You've already done all of the rough-and-ready measures I would have suggested to try to clear things up, without results. I wasn't able to find anything in Palm's Knowledge Library that seemed relevant.

The only clue seems to be that there is some sort of protected memory space on the desktop that the HotSync Manager is trying to access. Perhaps a query to palmOne support would yield some other ideas, or someone familiar with Win XP Pro might have some thoughts. Good luck!
    Steven G. Tyler, Esq.

The Computer Counselor -- Technology Consulting for the Law Office

Already talked to Palm support, they were of no help. I've wasted enough time on this.

Are there any third party programs that do what Desktop and Hotsync do?

An "Olde Moderator" #2

Default I've wasted enough time on this.

That error is similiar to a error observed on win2000 boxes when a new app was installed on customers units. Had conflicts with other established apps previously installed.

The quick solution for our staff was to reimage the PC's hard drive and reload the new application with admin rights at the local box with all other services shut down. (over 50 units)(previously the install was attempted via remote network download and execute)

Had you installed a new app or updated a program prior to observing this error? even a MS XP update?

Uninstalling via control panel should strip enough of the app from system and XP registers to allow a clean reload.

When reinstalling the Palm desktop follow these guidelines, please;
    1. The installing user must have full admin rights.
    2. All other applications must be closed, ALL.
    3. Virus-protection software MUST be DISABLED.
    4. Load from Original installation CD if possible and if it is version 4.01 or newer. If not down load the latest version from Palm/Support.
    5. Transfer the new Palm desktop installer app to the C:\ location to execute.

With luck all will return to as before!

Just remeber that the true qualifier for software - a tool that if played with long enough will WORK!
    Welcome to Brighthand
    The Three Rs of Life - Respect for self, Respect for others, and Responsibility for your own actions.
    "Life isn't like a box of chocolates....it's more like a jar of jalapenos.What you do today might burn your backside tomorrow!"