The Aceeca is here. - Page 3

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mobile Evangelist

Default Re: The Aceeca is here.

Reb, I'd love to be wrong, but I do believe you have a tendency to over-interpret their speculations. They do a lot of speculating about what they could do that doesn't seem to translate into what they are doing.
    They are real slow about doing things.
    Thanks. Yes, I coulda formatted it more readably. Was thinking BT & Wifi were already available but simply optional. If they see a lot of consumer demand, they will probably be more willing to cater to it. Awfully nice of them to communicate with us, seeing we aren't really their target market.
    The options are the deal breaker. When and if they are available they will see some consumer interest.
    Re: the Lifedrive, I seem to recall reading somewhere online that it had been possible to replace the hard drive with a compact flash. Don't know if it was bigger than 4GB but it should have at least saved some battery.
    Yes you can do it yourself or have it done by someone who is setup for it. Palm powerups has an application that will allow you to put up to a 32gig flash card in to replace it.PalmPowerups

ex-Palm guru

Quote Originally Posted by LandSurveyor View Post
    Re: the Lifedrive, I seem to recall reading somewhere online that it had been possible to replace the hard drive with a compact flash. Don't know if it was bigger than 4GB but it should have at least saved some battery.
    Can almost see the Lifedrive as anticipating the smaller tablets available nowadays. Can you imagine PalmOS optimized for tablets?
    POS for tablets? Nope, Palm OS was designed for small screens and wouldn't scale well in my opinion. I have a LD with a flash CF card installed and am very happy with it.

LandSurveyor

Awesome! Is it permanent or a removable slot? Is it indeed limited to 4gb? Woulda had one myself if I hadn't conceived a need for a WM device. Wrongly, as it turned out.

I guess you're right about the scaleability. I was thinking more about the ease of use. But a tab is mostly about the browser and not so much about PIM.

Re: the Aceeca. I'm going with my dumbphone/Aceeca combo and it involves syncing both to Outlook. I notice that alarms I set on calendar events with the phone do not carry over to the PDA. This might or might not be a good thing as I sometimes switch phones and forget to bring over my appointments. My backup phone is an unconnected BB. I guess I could sync it as well but it has the most primitive desktop software I've ever seen. Motorola Phone Tools is streaks better.
    One the plus side, if I'm carrying both devices, I don't have two alarms to answer at once.

Does anybody know if it's possible to make the month the default view on calendar with the Palms?

Mobile Evangelist

The app at palm powerups I posted to will allow you to use larger cf cards up to 32gig. It is more complicated than just plug and play so research it. http://forum.brighthand.com/lifedrive/
    There are also posts at 1src forums that you should read.

On my tx I can make the month the default by going into display options and selecting it.

LandSurveyor

Neat. I really missed something not getting a LD.

I looked under Preferences> Buttons but I don't have that option on this one.

I also realize that not having the hardware buttons for contacts, etc. will limit my ability to use some programs, such as games. Not a big deal, just something potential buyers should know.

Mobile Evangelist

There are other apps that you may be able to setup so certain buttons do what you want or they will show a pop up list of the ones you choose.
    LandSurveyor: Go to the calender application and hit the preference button there and choose display options.

LandSurveyor

Quote Originally Posted by reb1 View Post
    There are other apps that you may be able to setup so certain buttons do what you want or they will show a pop up list of the ones you choose.
    LandSurveyor: Go to the calender application and hit the preference button there and choose display options.
    I did. There are no options to choose which view you wish as default. The TRG is the same. It's not really a big deal, just seems like a choice I should be able to make. Never really noticed it before.

On a happier note, I do enjoy the disappearing Grafitti area. Makes ebook reading so much more enjoyable.

Mobile Evangelist

If you need more features in calender try DateBk 5 or 6 to see if they work and what you think of them. They give you a full featured trial for 30 or 45 days. Pimlico Software

LandSurveyor

Still in early days here, so far as reacquainting myself with Palm OS and how the device will best be used but I will hang onto that link.

I got out my old, now unconnected BB800 to use today (love GSM phones) and am reminded about just how well RIM's much-maligned OS works for the things I really do on a daily basis, especially messaging. I guess I missed something not getting a later model Treo. I assume they are similarly intuitive.

Re: the Aceeca. I tried a 4GB card I have on hand and it does NOT recognize SDHC.

ex-Palm guru

Quote Originally Posted by LandSurveyor View Post
    Still in early days here, so far as reacquainting myself with Palm OS and how the device will best be used but I will hang onto that link.

I got out my old, now unconnected BB800 to use today (love GSM phones) and am reminded about just how well RIM's much-maligned OS works for the things I really do on a daily basis, especially messaging. I guess I missed something not getting a later model Treo. I assume they are similarly intuitive.

Re: the Aceeca. I tried a 4GB card I have on hand and it does NOT recognize SDHC.
    No SDHC? D:
    and this is a professional, industrial, recent device! :S
    Well, I guess its an issue of Garnet not supporting it to begin with...