Palm m515 vs Tungsten E vs Tungsten E2

Closed Thread

Default Palm m515 vs Tungsten E vs Tungsten E2

I was thinking to buy a pda. Most of the time i'm going to use it for notes, and to-do list and so on. For surfing the web i have my macbook. I'm not fond of browsing in the web in a tiny window.

So my first choice was m515. Its pretty affordable and has the main functions. also bluetooth capable what would be good to sync with my laptop or phone. And also read mail using my phone. (altough my Nokia E50 has a decent mail program already)

But i found also tungsten E and E2. E2 would be the best choice i guess. It has the most functions and bluetooth integrated. But its a bit expensive and i'm afraid i am not going to use all the features it has. So it would be a waste of money.

The E looks pretty good. its newer than m515, but hasn't bluetooth or wifi. The price is almost the same as m515. (i will buy it from ebay, so i mean the prices in ebay).

Which one should i choose? I know i'm not going to use all those fancy features, because i already have a very good symbian phone and also a laptop. Actually i would just need something small to write down some things i have to do and something in my calendar also.

Homo Sapien

Default Re: Palm m515 vs Tungsten E vs Tungsten E2

Well if all you need is a basic organizer, the m515 should work quite well for you. Keep in mind though that, unlike the E and E2 it cannot play music, etc. But you said you don't need those more advanced features. In getting an m515 you may also be able to avoid the nasty screen whine that some Es and E2s have (my E2 has an ear-piercing screen whine; best to avoid that).

Detective/Moderator

Given the age of the m515 it is probable that it has Bluetooth 1.0, thus I hope you can connect it with your phone/laptop. Be aware that it also has the Legacy PIMs (Date Book, Address Book, To Do List and Memo Pad) which have fewer features than the newer devices with Extended PIMs.

That said, if you just want something to get started and not make a large investment, any will do.
    DT Lives in SFO...away from flying objects.
    Psion 3, Palm Pilot, IIIxe, M130, TE, TE2, TX

Don't take yourself too darn seriously.

Tnx for you replys.

I have already a mp3 player so yeah, i don't need it at all.

Could you point out the differences between legacy and extended PIM. What restrictions i might have. Could'nt find not much in google about it.

I'm calculating the expenses and i'm thinking bluetooth as an future investment. To these things at once would be a little expensive again. I'm not sure if i'm going to use it in the future.

So if i tend not to use bluetooth, would the TE be a better investment, or would it be a waste of money?

But maybe i will get the m515, and if i'm not satisfied i can buy the E/E2 later.

Mobile Deity

Quote Originally Posted by lowr View Post
    But maybe i will get the m515, and if i'm not satisfied i can buy the E/E2 later.
    True enough. The m515 should be fully depreciated in the marketplace by now. If you are careful when you buy one, you should be able to sell it for about the same.

But lets suppose i never by the bluetooth card for the m515, and i would'nt never use it. Which one to buy, the m515 or E ? It's a bit more expensive i guess (about 70 USD on ebay), is the extra money worth it?