USB mass storage driver

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Dooper Member

Default USB mass storage driver

... is now available at DeJe's website...

http://www.deje.gmxhome.de/software.html

Mobile Evangelist

Congrat, your the first John.

Let's see what happen. I hope most devices will work, but I think according to Mr. Murphy they will not.

Super Dooper Member

Thumbs up

It was actually Torgamm from PocketPCFreewares.com who first saw the link

Anyway... DeJe... you'd been a big help on the Pocket PC community most specially on Cassiopeia community for bringing up more support on E-200's USB hosting capabilities. You got my vote on the next Pocket PC Awards

Keep up the good work!

Mobile Enthusiast

I wanted to see if there was a new version of the mouse driver to update our site : http://ppcf.mklabs.com/index.php?soft=616

I also posted on a french forum (Cassiopeialand.com 's forum which is actually hosted by PocketPCParadise.com).
    Someone managed to connect to a 40GB HD which appears as a 38145MB Storage card

http://forum.pocketpcparadise.com/vi...9875&forum=9&8

Mobile Evangelist

Torgramm,
    thanks for that info. I really would like to read that thread full length. But altough I understand english a little, my french is terrible to nothing.

Anyway, it seams some other (than mine) devices are working, that's great!

40GB...unbelievable. What is the guy saying about performance? Can he play MP3 from that drive?

Mobile Enthusiast

Here we go

Sorry but english is not my native language and I 'll do my best but you know how the french are

The firt interesting post for you is ylemer's one (2002-11-22 20:58):

Well, it works: my E200 is leading 40GB. An external LaCIe 40GB HD, both Firewire and USB, plugged in the craddle after installation of the driver mentioned by Torgamm: no problem (except that ActiveSync stops because it cannot manage to explore everything)
    Besides, everything works: MPG, AVI and Real video reading, photographs reading, MP3 reading from the HD. Copy and Paste from the Pocket PC to the HD to do backups on the external HD (which appears as a 'USB disk' directory in the explorer) worked too.
    In Settings|System|Memory, the disk appears as a Storage Card, just like any CF or SD Card (except that I have a declared capacity of 38145 MB)
    I am wondering if I am not going to sell my laptop...
    Then there are posts about boxes to transform an IDE HD in a self-powered USB HD with links.

Then there is another post by ylemer (2002-11-23 09:24)
    He speaks about another thread in which someone installed your driver to test a PCMCIA Card Expansion.
    I read in another thread "Comment savoir si la jaquette fonctionne" the problems someone had with the USB mass storage driver:
    "I installed the USB mass Storage driver from Deje but it does not work and I get a message "Erreur d'installation du pilote USB usbmsc.dll" (installation error of the usbmsc.dll driver)".
    In fact, at the beginning, I got this message too, after I put usbmsc.dll alone in My Documents. It disappeared after a copy-paste of both DLL files which are in the USBMSC_alpha.zip. I put them in the \Windows directory of my E200. When I plugged the HD again, I did not get this message again... I thought it did not work until I discovered a 'USB Disk' directory in windows explorer... and 40 GB of data.
    On the contrary, the driver does not work with a Kodak DC 240 camera, nor with an external HP 8200 CD writer/reader...
    I have not anything else to try. Who has an USB Omega Zip reader?
    Then charletd (2002-11-23 15:49)
    super the usb mass storage driver
    worked with a zip 250 usb,
    with a pocketdrive lacie usb firewire HDD,
    detects but does not work with a smartdisk smart media compact flash usb reader.
    The last post I read is from 2Mylent (2002-11-23 20:46)
    He wanted to use your driver with a 256MB Memory Key
    (in this thread: http://forum.pocketpcparadise.com/vi...9899&forum=9&3)
    But nothing worked and he tried something:
    (...) I have the 1.12 ROM installed on my E200 (delivered on the CD with my PCMCIA expansion pack)
    I decided to re-install my old 1.10 ROM and...

* My 236 MB USB memory Key works
    * My external Lacie USB2 and Firewire HD is recognized but I get a message which says I should format it to be able to use it
    * My IDE IBM 45 GB HD in an external box USB2 is recognized but I get a message which says I should format it to use it.
    * My Fujifilm Finepix 1600 Z camera is detected but not recognized
    * My PCMCIA USB 2.0 Cardbus Billionton Card : nothing, nada, niet, not even a message, total silence.

Should I re-install the 1.12 ROM delivered with the PCMCIA expansion pack?
    Well, for me the more convenient is the USB Memory Key that I use very much
    I hope this helps you
    And one more time, sorry for my poor english.

Thanks Deje for this wonderful work. As mentionned by Torgamm, I have been playing around with a 40 Giga LaCie Pocket Drive through the USB port of the craddle.
    The recognition of the HD is done in about... 1 second with a new USB Disk in Explorer.
    Everything is working fine. I have done a complete backup of the datas (about 5 minutes with Copy and paste of the whole content of the E200).
    Playing MP3 from the hard drive is quite smooth. for the videos, in mpeg, the mean reading speed is 15 to 20 i/s (I do not know wich unit is it, I can read it in the bar of Pocket TV) but can go down to 6 i/s when the file is very large (for instance, reading of an120 Mo mpg file...)
    Once again, that's a nice piece of work.

Yannick

Sad i am. :-(

1) I have the archos jukebox 6 gig hard drive / mp3 player.
    (archos.com) I have installed the newest update file only (1.30R) and deje's driver. when I connect the archos drive, I get
    "Unidenditied USB Device - error installing USB driver usbmsc.dll"

OH well.

2) My imation usb multi memory card reader does NOT work. I tried with a compact flash AND an SD card. (this usb adapter reads CF, MM/SD, and Smart media, shows up under winme with generic usb storage drivers)

http://www.imation.com/en_US/product.jhtml?Id=IM_PRD334

3) On a more positve note, the sandisk "cruzer" USB drive works just fine. Last week, sandisk told me "no drivers for pocketpc".

SO, one out of three is a start I guess!! :-)

Mobile Evangelist

Hi there,
    Torgamm, you give a good overview, thanks for that.
    To some details. I am not sure if USB 2.0 devices are working at all. I do have a USB 2.0 HD and it's not even working on my PC with a USB 1.0 host.
    Camera is the next point. Most newer cameras use a SCSI subclass which is not fully implemented. I have a very new Pentax Optio 330GS here for that kind of devices. Not working as for now.
    Last not least multislot reader are not fully implemented also. The first slot is recognized only for now, or better the first slot presented.
    CD-ROM is implemented but there is no UDFS driver for PocketPC 2002.
    Great it is working with Iomega Zip drive.

Funny someone tried to use the PCMCIA 2.0 card. Unless you do not have the USB host drivers for this card, it will not work at all in the PPC.

ylemer, great! "i/s" showed in PocketTV is frames per second I think. 15 to 20 is really good, thats what I get from a CF II card in the slot on my E200.

None1: The Archos should at least recognized. Someone at a thread at the e740 forum used it. But slow access and some trouble copy larger files.

A funny screen shot :

Yes, it's in Mo, not in Ko

Yannick