I now have a Blackberry!

Closed Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    BHOT's Own Fluffy
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    All over
    Posts
    1,486

    Default I now have a Blackberry!

    I got my dad's Blackberry Flip on Verizon, and so far, I'm very impressed. No unlimited data plan, but 150 MB is perfect for me. Still getting used to the keyboard layout and the mysterious App World icon hiding, but I heard it's fixed with 5.0, which supposed this phone supports.
    Phone: Palm Centro Verizion
    Music Player: iPod Classic 160gb
    Camera: Casio 12 MP Digtial
    Tablet: Blackberry Playbook 16gb



    I'm not dead, just not here that often.

  2. #2
    r0k
    r0k is offline
    Mobile Deity
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    (in the Palm of God's Hand *Detroit)....... Device: iPhone 5
    Posts
    9,415

    Default Re: I now have a Blackberry!

    Congrats! BB is a great phone for email and the apps are improving. You sure about the data? Around here, any BB phone requires a $30 data plan. Perhaps if you don't go to the RIM setup page for BIS you might slip under the radar. I'd be careful and use a third party app for email rather than BB push email which I suspect will lead to automatic billing of the BB data plan.

    You should update your sig to change the Env 3 to a BB. BTW, my kids are still walking around with Env3 until their grades come up.
    -Jeff
    (r0k)


    Palm Devices List (updated 10/17/2011)


    sharp - early 1990's -> palm iii (late 1998) ... T|T3 -> ipaq 3115
    (returned to store) ->TX ... Treo 650-> 755p ->bb8830+iPod Touch->RAZR M + iPhone5+iPad mini

  3. #3
    BHOT's Own Fluffy
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    All over
    Posts
    1,486

    Default Re: I now have a Blackberry!

    Quote Originally Posted by r0k View Post
    Congrats! BB is a great phone for email and the apps are improving. You sure about the data? Around here, any BB phone requires a $30 data plan. Perhaps if you don't go to the RIM setup page for BIS you might slip under the radar. I'd be careful and use a third party app for email rather than BB push email which I suspect will lead to automatic billing of the BB data plan.

    You should update your sig to change the Env 3 to a BB. BTW, my kids are still walking around with Env3 until their grades come up.
    Will do, and do you know anything about upgrading to BB 5 on the Flip? Blackberry discovered that's the only way to have the App World show up, because of a recent update to it.
    Phone: Palm Centro Verizion
    Music Player: iPod Classic 160gb
    Camera: Casio 12 MP Digtial
    Tablet: Blackberry Playbook 16gb



    I'm not dead, just not here that often.

  4. #4
    hal
    hal is offline
    itchy and cold feet hal
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,254

    Default Re: I now have a Blackberry!

    Quote Originally Posted by z22 2006 User View Post
    I got my dad's Blackberry Flip on Verizon, and so far, I'm very impressed. No unlimited data plan, but 150 MB is perfect for me. Still getting used to the keyboard layout and the mysterious App World icon hiding, but I heard it's fixed with 5.0, which supposed this phone supports.
    <Pah. Another Palm OS advocate that tastes the sweetness of multi-tasking>

    Ah, errr, yo there, how you doin', pal? OK, just kidding Well, a BB Flip of course, well yes, that's a very good device, a close friend has a job-issued, and AFAIG he thinks he's got the best smartphone ever. Just be careful, please notice that you got yourself a very stylish smartphone, but possibly the most distant point from the concept of ruggedized. Therefore I think that as long as you don't get over-confident in the mechanical resistance dept., there you are for a good couple of years.

    IMO, kids do better with one of those BBs styled a-la-Treo, but OK, "this is what you got". Just, I insist, don't ask from it as you have with previous devices. As for the hardware and software, I gotta admit that my opinion about BB has changed throughout time. Now my sister has a Storm 2 and geez it's a powerful device. Multitasking, tons and tons of apps just as r0k points out, and very upgraded services.

    I don't have a data plan, but I enjoy OTA connection thanks to prepaid data blocks, that give me something in the vicinity of your 150 MB. IME, and using a device that's not connection-intensive, I gotta tell you I do pretty good with email and moderate browsing. Therefore I think that if you act moderate as well, you are pretty much at your best. I think that you could even configure one email account, but not under the standard BIS process, cause it's IMAP, but rather on POP3, and configure to download the basic message, with no pictures. Hopefully the push notifications will not eat that much data, but then you could have your email even when out of connection. The moment that my sister's BB falls out of warranty, we intend to have it unlocked, in order to have a better benefit of WiFi connection. That's another feature you shall consider.

    I'm not sure about the upgrade to BB OS v.5, but I reckon it deserves a try. My sister's BB accepted the upgrade, and I did it totally on the desktop side. AAMOF, I was impressed at the simplicity and effectiveness of the BB Desktop. It lacks many user-available switches, but of course my opinion comes from the fact that I still use Palm HotSync Manager The Flip is recent enough as to be considered for an OS 5 upgrade, but you better check that out. I understand that the main upgrades are not offered straight through Blackberry itself (sole exception is that you got an unlocked device purchased straight out of carriers' reps), but instead you gotta find out what the original selling carrier offers. That's how I found the upgrades for my sister's. And of course you're gonna find personalized distros around, courtesy of hackers and enthusiasts, but I encourage you not, cause you never know reliable can they be.

    OK, I am sure that in the immediate future, it's you teaching us how to crank more juice off a BB, congrats on the new acquisition!
    Last edited by hal; 05-23-2011 at 09:37 PM.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda. "Nothing is neither wear-proof, nor fail-proof, least fool-proof." - HAL. "Indeed, fool-proof inventions have been attempted, but don't work, fools are pretty witty ones." - Murphy's Law. "Even worse than a traitor, is a dumb@$$ with initiative." - Gral. Santa Ana
    Link: Palm resets

  5. #5
    BHOT's Own Fluffy
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    All over
    Posts
    1,486

    Default Re: I now have a Blackberry!

    Quote Originally Posted by hal View Post
    <Pah. Another Palm OS advocate that tastes the sweetness of multi-tasking>

    Ah, errr, yo there, how you doin', pal? OK, just kidding Well, a BB Flip of course, well yes, that's a very good device, a close friend has a job-issued, and AFAIG he thinks he's got the best smartphone ever. Just be careful, please notice that you got yourself a very stylish smartphone, but possibly the most distant point from the concept of ruggedized. Therefore I think that as long as you don't get over-confident in the mechanical resistance dept., there you are for a good couple of years.

    IMO, kids do better with one of those BBs styled a-la-Treo, but OK, "this is what you got". Just, I insist, don't ask from it as you have with previous devices. As for the hardware and software, I gotta admit that my opinion about BB has changed throughout time. Now my sister has a Storm 2 and geez it's a powerful device. Multitasking, tons and tons of apps just as r0k points out, and very upgraded services.

    I don't have a data plan, but I enjoy OTA connection thanks to prepaid data blocks, that give me something in the vicinity of your 150 MB. IME, and using a device that's not connection-intensive, I gotta tell you I do pretty good with email and moderate browsing. Therefore I think that if you act moderate as well, you are pretty much at your best. I think that you could even configure one email account, but not under the standard BIS process, cause it's IMAP, but rather on POP3, and configure to download the basic message, with no pictures. Hopefully the push notifications will not eat that much data, but then you could have your email even when out of connection. The moment that my sister's BB falls out of warranty, we intend to have it unblocked, in order to have a better benefit of WiFi connection. That's another feature you shall consider.

    I'm not sure about the upgrade to BB OS v.5, but I reckon it deserves a try. My sister's BB accepted the upgrade, and I did it totally on the desktop side. AAMOF, I was impressed at the simplicity and effectiveness of the BB Desktop. It lacks many user-available switches, but of course my opinion comes from the fact that I still use Palm HotSync Manager The Flip is recent enough as to be considered for an OS 5 upgrade, but you better check that out. I understand that the main upgrades are not offered straight through Blackberry itself (sole exception is that you got an unlocked device purchased straight out of carriers' reps), but instead you gotta find out what the original selling carrier offers. That's how I found the upgrades for my sister's. And of course you're gonna find personalized distros around, courtesy of hackers and enthusiasts, but I encourage you not, cause you never know reliable can they be.

    OK, I am sure that in the immediate future, it's you teaching us how to crank more juice off a BB, congrats on the new acquisition!
    At first glance, I didn't even notice it supported multi-tasking, because my dad only used it for email and phone calls. I'll still getting used to the control scheme and etc., but I'm loving it so far. I'm also still figuring out that OS 5 update, as well as getting the online app downloading site working.
    Phone: Palm Centro Verizion
    Music Player: iPod Classic 160gb
    Camera: Casio 12 MP Digtial
    Tablet: Blackberry Playbook 16gb



    I'm not dead, just not here that often.

  6. #6
    hal
    hal is offline
    itchy and cold feet hal
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,254

    Default Re: I now have a Blackberry!

    Quote Originally Posted by z22 2006 User View Post
    At first glance, I didn't even notice it supported multi-tasking, because my dad only used it for email and phone calls. I'll still getting used to the control scheme and etc., but I'm loving it so far. I'm also still figuring out that OS 5 update, as well as getting the online app downloading site working.
    Of course multi-tasking has caveats of its own, such as apps staying in the background not always to your benefit. If you press the BB key (not click, press), a window pops, similar to MS Windows alt + Tab window. There you can see what apps are currently running. But of course you already know the latter.

    Most people with BBs use them just like your dad, essentially as cellphones that also support email. Most people are not even into PIM apps, the sole exception of address book, so it's pointless to speak about installing apps and all that. r0k and you and me are the uncommon samples, actually (OK I once thought that r0k comes from the Cygnus stelar cluster or something, where quantum-tasking is the commodity, that's why he so loathes nonobedient tech, but don't say it out loud ). The point is that it seems that regarding computing power, you got a device in almost pristine condition. A suggestion: pal, please, don't use it for serious gaming. Better take one of your legacy devices and dedicate it for so. Doesn't matter what you read at Crackberry, better keep this Flip for, say, the serious part of life, such as school and family calls and a starter's job and so on. OK and the GF, she's also on the serious side of life

    Obviously, out of the box it'll do a lot of things and yet be able to do more. Perhaps your own curiosity will find out how to manage multi-tasking in many efficient manners. Please keep us updated
    Last edited by hal; 05-23-2011 at 09:56 PM.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda. "Nothing is neither wear-proof, nor fail-proof, least fool-proof." - HAL. "Indeed, fool-proof inventions have been attempted, but don't work, fools are pretty witty ones." - Murphy's Law. "Even worse than a traitor, is a dumb@$$ with initiative." - Gral. Santa Ana
    Link: Palm resets

  7. #7
    BHOT's Own Fluffy
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    All over
    Posts
    1,486

    Default Re: I now have a Blackberry!

    The strangest thing fixed the App world issue. I forget what link I clicked on my device to go to a download screen, but apparently I had x.xx.15, and the newest release was x.xx.19. So now it works, and it's left me even more confused.
    Phone: Palm Centro Verizion
    Music Player: iPod Classic 160gb
    Camera: Casio 12 MP Digtial
    Tablet: Blackberry Playbook 16gb



    I'm not dead, just not here that often.

  8. #8
    hal
    hal is offline
    itchy and cold feet hal
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,254

    Default Re: I now have a Blackberry!

    Quote Originally Posted by z22 2006 User View Post
    The strangest thing fixed the App world issue. I forget what link I clicked on my device to go to a download screen, but apparently I had x.xx.15, and the newest release was x.xx.19. So now it works, and it's left me even more confused.
    You tried OS v.5 upgrade already? Case not, remember you can backup your date beforehand, with the use of BB Desktop. However, you better inquire first to what extent does this backup, backs up.

    Perhaps you gotta get acquainted with your new working system. In the BB DT, you can find a list of apps in queue for sync, and you can check/uncheck them for the case. A weird thing is that after sync, some of these apps stay in the queue, and some don't. I reckon we both gotta learn why Before every hotsync, check that queue in order to be aware of what are you sending. And BTW, there are lot of apps out there that claim to be "app v.X" and actually are "app v.Y". Just like in everything else.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda. "Nothing is neither wear-proof, nor fail-proof, least fool-proof." - HAL. "Indeed, fool-proof inventions have been attempted, but don't work, fools are pretty witty ones." - Murphy's Law. "Even worse than a traitor, is a dumb@$$ with initiative." - Gral. Santa Ana
    Link: Palm resets

  9. #9
    r0k
    r0k is offline
    Mobile Deity
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    (in the Palm of God's Hand *Detroit)....... Device: iPhone 5
    Posts
    9,415

    Exclamation Re: I now have a Blackberry!

    Quote Originally Posted by hal View Post
    Most people are not even into PIM apps, the sole exception of address book, so it's pointless to speak about installing apps and all that. r0k and you and me are the uncommon samples, actually (OK I once thought that r0k comes from the Cygnus stelar cluster or something, where quantum-tasking is the commodity, that's why he so loathes nonobedient tech, but don't say it out loud ). T
    Shhhh..... Remember we are not to alert the earthlings to our presence until after the mind control field is fully in place...
    -Jeff
    (r0k)


    Palm Devices List (updated 10/17/2011)


    sharp - early 1990's -> palm iii (late 1998) ... T|T3 -> ipaq 3115
    (returned to store) ->TX ... Treo 650-> 755p ->bb8830+iPod Touch->RAZR M + iPhone5+iPad mini

  10. #10
    hal
    hal is offline
    itchy and cold feet hal
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,254

    Default Re: I now have a Blackberry!

    Quote Originally Posted by r0k View Post
    Shhhh..... Remember we are not to alert the earthlings to our presence until after the mind control field is fully in place...
    "Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda. "Nothing is neither wear-proof, nor fail-proof, least fool-proof." - HAL. "Indeed, fool-proof inventions have been attempted, but don't work, fools are pretty witty ones." - Murphy's Law. "Even worse than a traitor, is a dumb@$$ with initiative." - Gral. Santa Ana
    Link: Palm resets

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-02-2011, 09:31 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-08-2011, 11:13 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-27-2011, 12:08 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-20-2010, 10:23 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-09-2009, 01:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:17 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1