Adding stuff to the memory of a BB8800.

Closed Thread
    LandSurveyor

Question Adding stuff to the memory of a BB8800.

I had such good luck with Mobipocket on my resurrected BB8800 that I dug out a 1gb micro SD card and thought I could drag & drop photos, music and videos from my old phone.

The music is wma and the videos are 3gp, both of which, from my research, should work. But I can't really find out because when I installed the card and rebooted the BB, it tells me the card has something wrong and I should run a check on it from my computer. I read the card again and all the content is there, in the proper folders and supposedly in the right formats.

Any thoughts? Am I going to have to dump this card and download it into the machine via USB? Do I need to format the card first?

Older 'n louder w/KB envy

Default Re: Adding stuff to the memory of a BB8800.

what I'd try, keeping in mind no first hand experience at all with BB, is to nuke the card via PC, and then try to get the BB to format it, and then put the files back on (if the PC is good with the card) and finally see if the BB sees them.
    My useful BH links -- BH FAQS/repair options/digitizer discussions
    ~"Friends are the Fambly we choose" ~"Shared pain is diminished, shared joy is increased"
    ~inanimate objects are smarter than we give them credit for~our lives are too short to not help others
    ~"when you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it" Dilbert 9/22/09
    ~RAiD: making no decision is really making the choice to do nothing, about something
    ~The beauty of learning to let go of anger and those things we cannot change is that you can make choices
    and deal with things on your own terms and not have them affect your whole day or those around you.

LandSurveyor

Quote Originally Posted by RickAgresta View Post
    what I'd try, keeping in mind no first hand experience at all with BB, is to nuke the card via PC, and then try to get the BB to format it, and then put the files back on (if the PC is good with the card) and finally see if the BB sees them.

Worked perfectly, thanks. Dunno why I didn't think about formatting the card. It came with the Motorola.

r0k
    Mobile Deity
    (in the Palm of God's Hand *Detroit)....... Device: iPhone 5

Quote Originally Posted by LandSurveyor View Post
    I had such good luck with Mobipocket on my resurrected BB8800 that I dug out a 1gb micro SD card and thought I could drag & drop photos, music and videos from my old phone.

The music is wma and the videos are 3gp, both of which, from my research, should work. But I can't really find out because when I installed the card and rebooted the BB, it tells me the card has something wrong and I should run a check on it from my computer. I read the card again and all the content is there, in the proper folders and supposedly in the right formats.

Any thoughts? Am I going to have to dump this card and download it into the machine via USB? Do I need to format the card first?
    I had an 8830. It was a big disappointment because it turned out the thing had even less memory than my Treo 650 and unlike Palm devices, there was no proper way to run apps from SD card. You can format the microsd card in FAT32 format on any computer and the BB will see it just fine. It is not necessary to format the card on the BB 8800. The only thing you can keep on the card (without resorting to third party band aid software) is photos, music, documents, etc. No apps. This was a huge downer for me as I had become used to the idea I had "limitless" app memory on my Palm devices and I never got back to that capability until I got my iPod Touch and later my iPhone.

I suggest you grab the latest OS you can find. Spend some time, possibly over at CB, looking into which OS is stable. Nothing is worse than a memory leaker OS. I had 4.5 for a while and it leaked like a stuck pig. I would go to 0 filefree every other day and had more (self induced memory recovery) resets on my BB than any Palm other than my uber pathetic 755p. BB apps like to run on the latest OS and the fragmentation makes Android look monolithic. You will find themes that only work on 4.2.2.196, themes that only work on 4.5, and today most apps will require 5.0 or later so the 8800 will feel creaky and old from day one since the very newest OS it will support is 4.5.something.

On 4.2.2.196, all email is plain text. You can buy third party software to make email look "normal" but I suggest a newer OS which brings formatted email for free if you can find a stable OS. Take some time to pop out and clean your trackball with alcohol. It will make your life a lot easier. I remember dozens of situations where I was in the car and couldn't roll "up" and had to pop out my trackball and clean it on my shirt while sitting at a light.
    -Jeff
    (r0k)

Palm Devices List (updated 10/17/2011)

sharp - early 1990's -> palm iii (late 1998) ... T|T3 -> ipaq 3115
    (returned to store) ->TX ... Treo 650-> 755p ->bb8830+iPod Touch->RAZR M + iPhone5+iPad mini

LandSurveyor

Actually, I just dug out the BB because my Moto was getting flakey and I have to wait until some time in June for the Better Half's plan to end so we can do a family plan on VZW. I don't plan to use it for any data. It's just a talk & text phone with the content I've dumped on it.

I might possibly consider a newer BB on VZW but will probably go Android. At least, that's my thinking at this point.

Still, the ease of use and logical UI are still there to recommend RIM. As well as the build quality.