Anyone remember the old Giraffe program? - Page 3

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Banned

Default Re: Anyone remember the old Giraffe program?

I agree, but I'd say it's more the execution, not the learning. I learned the few different characters; but the time-determined characters as you call them still mess me up sometimes. You have to build a 'rhythm.' I still mess up the 'k' sometimes (I'll get and 'lc' instead). Annoying.

hal
    itchy and cold feet hal

Quote Originally Posted by Varjak View Post
    I agree, but I'd say it's more the execution, not the learning. I learned the few different characters; but the time-determined characters as you call them still mess me up sometimes. You have to build a 'rhythm.' I still mess up the 'k' sometimes (I'll get and 'lc' instead). Annoying.
    Totally annoying. Many of these lame characters add up for the wear on the screen protective films of assorted origin. The minute I got a minute (), I'm gonna fully implement G1 in two Palm devices. Of course, as intuitive as G1 can get, you're right and a learning curve is due, especially when oneself is transitioning from yet another "hand writing recognition" software (isn't it digital calligraphy?)

Years ago, I tried a software called MobileWrite, and for those times I saw an impressive usage of it. A dude was writing on it in a TX so fast that bystanders writing the same on paper couldn't keep up. And a BB model (old by now), job-issued to a friend, had this cellphone keyboard of very mainstream keys, but in QWERTY format, and it still carried the BB trackwheel. Albeit not single-handedly, he could input just as fast as I can write, after a couple of months of practice (OK it helps that said practice is in the middle of occupational needs to pull the best out of you). FWIW, I cannot write single-handedly, cause I'm left-handed and I write with the hand "on a hook position", so if I can't hold the paper with the other hand I'm pretty much tearing the paper to pieces so a device that demands two hands for writing is IME not a downturn. And my third benchmark regarding this subject is a Samsung smartphone, of unknown model, I saw a guy in the subway typing a message and the whole screen got full of "scattered labels" (similar to SuperNote for Palm OS), and with a single thumb he was choosing syllables, that along with auto-correct made words and sentences in a matter of seconds (I'm not fond of auto-correct, but this guy was typing worth sheets of text in a very fast fashion).

My dad had used Palm devices since 2002, but he had never mastered Graffiti. On PDAs he used the on-screen keyboard, and on a Treo the physical keyboard. Until we installed G1 in his MotoROI. Now he doesn't even open the slider keyboard, ever, and I gotta admit that he jots faster than me.

If G1 works fine in my current devices, I think I am totally ditching G2.
    Last edited by hal; 02-14-2012 at 05:49 PM.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda. "Nothing is neither wear-proof, nor fail-proof, least fool-proof." - HAL. "Indeed, fool-proof inventions have been attempted, but don't work, fools are pretty witty ones." - Murphy's Law. "Even worse than a traitor, is a dumb@$$ with initiative." - Gral. Santa Ana
    Link: Palm resets

A Former Palm User

Does this mean I can load Graffiti 1 on my Centro too. I also preferred G1 over G2. I was so happy to be able to install G1 on my Android phone. For me my writing was much more accurate on G1 than G2. I too have spent too much time correcting when using G2.
    scjjtt
    Palms & Phones: III, IIIx, IIIxe, Tunsgen E, TX, Centro -> Samsung Epic 4G (SPH-D700) -> Samsung Galaxy S4
    Tablet & Chromebook: HP TouchPad 32 GB Tablet and an Acer C7 320 GB Chromebook
    Laptop: TOSHIBA Satellite A305; Processor: Intel Core Duo T5800 @ 2 GHz; Memory: 3 GB & 230 GB drive

hal
    itchy and cold feet hal

Quote Originally Posted by scjjtt View Post
    Does this mean I can load Graffiti 1 on my Centro too. I also preferred G1 over G2. I was so happy to be able to install G1 on my Android phone. For me my writing was much more accurate on G1 than G2. I too have spent too much time correcting when using G2.
    Supposedly, it will work. YMMV. So if you intend so, please remember the drill beforehand. Hotsync, backup, protect. And please feed back any progress, Scott.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda. "Nothing is neither wear-proof, nor fail-proof, least fool-proof." - HAL. "Indeed, fool-proof inventions have been attempted, but don't work, fools are pretty witty ones." - Murphy's Law. "Even worse than a traitor, is a dumb@$$ with initiative." - Gral. Santa Ana

A Former Palm User

Quote Originally Posted by Bocadr1 View Post
    I just got those 2 files fr. Chris Short and still have them attached to his email...I can just forward the email with the files attached if you want them. After installing them and hot-syncing, you have to do a soft reset of the handheld in order for it to complete the installation. Then you should be completely back to Graffiti 1!
    I would like those files too. PM sent. Thanks!
    scjjtt
    Palms & Phones: III, IIIx, IIIxe, Tunsgen E, TX, Centro -> Samsung Epic 4G (SPH-D700) -> Samsung Galaxy S4
    Laptop: TOSHIBA Satellite A305; Processor: Intel Core Duo T5800 @ 2 GHz; Memory: 3 GB & 230 GB drive

Banned

hal, my father is still a fan of Graffiti and was excited when I told him that you could get it on Android. He didn't much like G2 though.

hal
    itchy and cold feet hal

Quote Originally Posted by Varjak View Post
    hal, my father is still a fan of Graffiti and was excited when I told him that you could get it on Android. He didn't much like G2 though.
    My dad didn't even try G2 when it was at his reach. The version that we both found for his Android device is G1, and he doesn't change it for the world.

Hookette's edgy lately

If someone wants to email me the G1 files, I'll host them for download on my TX Help site. If you need my email, PM me.
    Hook's Palm TX Help Page

Past: Palm T2 > Palm X > Nokia 5800 > HTC Nexus One > Samsung Galaxy Player 5 > LG Nexus 4 (gave to son) > LG Nexus 5

Current:
    Nexus 5, 32 GB,Rooted, Dirty Unicorns ROM, Android 4.4.2, Franco kernel
    Nexus 7 (2012) wifi+data (AT&T), Rooted, SlimKat Build 4, Android 4.4.2, ART, Franco Kernel

Banned

Bocadr, you should take Hook up on the offer. He has a great 'catch-all' site for Palm stuff.

A Former Palm User

Unfortunately, I could not the files to work on my Centro...
    scjjtt