Annoying keyboard

+ Reply to Thread
    Mobile Enthusiast

Default Annoying keyboard

Hi all,
    I've had my Samsung Captivate Glide for over a week now, and have been trying to figure out some issues with the keyboard.

This only seems to happen in when composing an email or text message. When I need to either use the shift or alt key to cap or use the blue symbols, I then have to hit the shift/alt key afterwards to get back to the regular keys. Otherwise I start typing words, but they come out like !@#IK123. It's driving me a bit mad. (BTW, this does not happen at all when I use the touch screen.)

Also, there is no visual indicator that I can find of whether the shift/alt keys are in "action" so to speak.

I tested typing in a note program, and did not have this problem. The cursor changed shape when I hit the shift/alt keys, and reverted back to standards unless I hit them again.

Does anyone have a suggestion/solution to this problem? Samsung's support website is so lame, seriously. Or could this be an Android problem? Too many choices as to where I should post this one!

TIA,
    Katherine

Samsung SGH-I927
    Android 2.3.6
    Basband I927UCKL1
    Kernel 2.6.36.3
    Build Gingerbread.uckl1
    On AT&T

Older 'n louder w/KB envy

Default Re: Annoying keyboard

Disclaimer: I've only been using Android a bit less than a year, so I'm no expert...and I don't have your device…

that said, have you carefully checked settings in your email and text apps? some setting that keeps the special keys locked unless you specifically unlock using them? or is there a setting section specifically for the qwerty (I'm assuming) keyboard <altho, if it was for the kb, I'd expect to see that behavior elsewhere, not just email and text>?

good luck, let us know what you learn
    My useful BH links -- BH FAQS/repair options/digitizer discussions
    ~"Friends are the Fambly we choose" ~"Shared pain is diminished, shared joy is increased"
    ~inanimate objects are smarter than we give them credit for~our lives are too short to not help others
    ~"when you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it" Dilbert 9/22/09
    ~RAiD: making no decision is really making the choice to do nothing, about something
    ~The beauty of learning to let go of anger and those things we cannot change is that you can make choices
    and deal with things on your own terms and not have them affect your whole day or those around you.

Mobile Enthusiast

No settings within the email or messaging programs that deal with the keyboard...did find the keyboard settings in the master "Settings", but nothing there dealt with the shift/alt key issues I've been having.

Does this sound like a hardward or a software problem to you? Who should I contact to fix it? It's really annoying. In fact, it's almost easier for me to use the touch screen than the physical keyboard because of it.

I'm starting to suspect software given the fact that the cursor doesn't "change" when I use shift/alt in these programs like it does in others. But who am I to guess?

Older 'n louder w/KB envy

Since you've only had the phone a short period, if it is at all convenient, I suggest taking it into your cell providers store. They may just exchange it then and there, or they may know how to correct the problem, even if you didn't get it directly from that store.
    My useful BH links -- BH FAQS/repair options/digitizer discussions
    ~"Friends are the Fambly we choose" ~"Shared pain is diminished, shared joy is increased"
    ~inanimate objects are smarter than we give them credit for~our lives are too short to not help others
    ~"when you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it" Dilbert 9/22/09
    ~RAiD: making no decision is really making the choice to do nothing, about something
    ~The beauty of learning to let go of anger and those things we cannot change is that you can make choices
    and deal with things on your own terms and not have them affect your whole day or those around you.