Any fully-customizable "Holidays -> Calendar" app?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    PIM-Loving Maniac

Default Any fully-customizable "Holidays -> Calendar" app?

Hi folks...

On my Palm I have an app that has a holidays app that will generate holidays for ANY year and put them in the Calendar (or remove them from the Calendar). It has many ways of figuring out when a holidays happens (eg. Thanksgiving is "last thursday in November", some holidays are based upon the equinox or something like that, etc.)... basically, holidays are either on the same day every year, or based on a formula, and the formulas available are modifiable, and you can add your own.

In the app store, I see mostly "Holidays for 2011" etc. (a new group for each year) instead of a generalized app like this.

Given that I DO NOT AND WILL NEVER used syncing my Calendar to Google, so I don't have access (or want it) to Google's own Holiday Calendar for each year, does anyone know of an Android app that is as flexible as the one I describe above?

- Tim

Banned

Default Re: Any fully-customizable "Holidays -> Calendar" app?

tbessie, what's that Palm app? Sounds good.

PIM-Loving Maniac

Quote Originally Posted by Varjak View Post
    tbessie, what's that Palm app? Sounds good.
    "Holidays" by Blue Light Software.

I don't think it exists anymore.

Someone posted a copy of it here:

Palmpage

- Tim

Mobile Enthusiast

Try the Free Paid App of the day today on Amazon, Pocket Informant.
    Palm TX, iTouch 4G, Sony ereader and Sony S Tablet user!

PIM-Loving Maniac

Quote Originally Posted by jbenham View Post
    Try the Free Paid App of the day today on Amazon, Pocket Informant.
    "Free Paid"? What's that mean??

I'm using DejaOffice - Pocket Informant would be doubling up on big PIMs, wouldn't it?

- Tim

Hookette's edgy lately

PI only syncs to Google, so of no value to you.

I think the trouble is, most people assume you will use Google calendar and it has a fine free holiday calendar.

What desktop app do you use to sync with DJO? If Palm Desktop and you still have a Palm, you can keep using Holidays.

If Outlook, I'm pretty sure there is a holiday add-on, though probably not as flexible.
    Hook's Palm TX Help Page

Past: Palm T2 > Palm X > Nokia 5800 > HTC Nexus One > Samsung Galaxy Player 5 > LG Nexus 4 (gave to son) > LG Nexus 5

Current:
    Nexus 5, 32 GB,Rooted, Dirty Unicorns ROM, Android 4.4.2, Franco kernel
    Nexus 7 (2012) wifi+data (AT&T), Rooted, SlimKat Build 4, Android 4.4.2, ART, Franco Kernel

PIM-Loving Maniac

Quote Originally Posted by Hook View Post
    PI only syncs to Google, so of no value to you.

I think the trouble is, most people assume you will use Google calendar and it has a fine free holiday calendar.

What desktop app do you use to sync with DJO? If Palm Desktop and you still have a Palm, you can keep using Holidays.

If Outlook, I'm pretty sure there is a holiday add-on, though probably not as flexible.
    I'm trying to get rid of the Palm eventually (it's been a project of mine to switch to Outlook, as you did, but I haven't gotten around to it), so it'll be be Outlook at some point. After I made my initial post on this thread, I *did* think "Well, maybe there's something for Outlook to do this". But yeah, probably not as flexible.

I suppose I could always write my own - it's not like it's that hard - it's just an app that sticks things in the Calendar and tags them so it knows it owns them, and has some not-TOO-difficult formulas to figure out dates. I even wrote an Outlook-like planning system in Java once that understood concepts like "3rd Thursday in November" or "1st Tuesday ever month" or "1st business day of February", though I no longer have the code.

- Tim

Hookette's edgy lately

I used Holidays to put Holidays in my Palm, then synced them to Outlook. I forget now how far in the future it went, but IIRC it was pretty far.
    Hook's Palm TX Help Page

Past: Palm T2 > Palm X > Nokia 5800 > HTC Nexus One > Samsung Galaxy Player 5 > LG Nexus 4 (gave to son) > LG Nexus 5

Current:
    Nexus 7 (2012) wifi+data (AT&T), Rooted, SlimKat Build 4, Android 4.4.2, ART, Franco Kernel

PIM-Loving Maniac

Quote Originally Posted by Hook View Post
    I used Holidays to put Holidays in my Palm, then synced them to Outlook. I forget now how far in the future it went, but IIRC it was pretty far.
    You mean the Holidays program I mentioned?

Yes, I suppose I could always do that.... I'd like something reusable once I ditch the Palm, tho', and not have to stuff many years' worth of holidays into the Outlook calendar (not that it's a big deal). But you know what I mean. :-)

- Tim

Hookette's edgy lately

Actually, sorry,no, I just checked. The one I used was called Holidates. Sorry. Memory getting fuzzy and suggestable.
    Hook's Palm TX Help Page

Current: