Any fully-customizable "Holidays -> Calendar" app? - Page 3

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mobile Enthusiast

Default Re: Any fully-customizable "Holidays -> Calendar" app?

I have an app on my Palm that is called MegaHolidays. It has holidays from any country I know and both Federal and State holidays for the United States. Lunar New Year Dates and religious holidays are included. Dates are easily inserted into my Palm calendar (which I synch to Windows XP and then Synch to Google to get it on my other calendars (Outlook 2010 on Windows 7, Android tablet, Windows Mobile).

MegaHolidays' last update only continues through 2015, so I will need to replace it. Does anyone know of an Android App that is as complete as what I am describing?

r0k
    Mobile Deity
    (in the Palm of God's Hand *Detroit)....... Device: iPhone 5

On google calendar, there is a us holidays calendar you can subscribe to that has us holidays through the year 2050. More here. I would think it would then "just show up" on your Android device.

I just went and found one over at mozilla that had us holidays for 2000-2020 and imported it to a spare calendar in iCal. I'm sure you could import it to google calendar as well.

The bottom line is you don't need an app (unless you want some sort of perpetual calendar that knows lunar new year for the next 400 years). You simply find an ics file online that you like and import it use it. Of course you should import it to a spare calendar so it's easy to delete if you don't like it.
    Last edited by r0k; 01-25-2012 at 11:37 PM.
    -Jeff
    (r0k)

Palm Devices List (updated 10/17/2011)

sharp - early 1990's -> palm iii (late 1998) ... T|T3 -> ipaq 3115
    (returned to store) ->TX ... Treo 650-> 755p ->bb8830+iPod Touch->RAZR M + iPhone5+iPad mini

Banned

I wasn't going to resurrect the thread; but just a note: That old Palm app I think is an add-on for Datebk, not a standalone app.

dtlee, do you have a link for that Megaholidays? I might want that one even if it only goes to 2015. I hope to have transitioned from Palm by then!

Mobile Enthusiast

It had to be over 5 years ago that I installed it.

I see it here:

MegaHolidays for Palm - Free Palm software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

but I am not sure if the download works.

Also found it here:

MegaHolidays - Utilities Palm OS Apps

and here:

MegaHolidays (Palm OS) - Download

Good luck.

It is amazing how old these things are. I pulled out my PDA the other day and someone asked me what kind of phone it was. He had never heard of a PDA.

For the Original Poster tbessie:

I sympathize with your project to recreate the features of your Palm on the Android. (Been there, still doing that!) You can import holiday calendars into the Android calendar, without using Google calendar, by using the MyPhoneExplorer application. The method for doing so is a little obscure:

Using the MyPhoneExplorer desktop calendar application, select any time on a day which happens to contain a holiday, and right click. You will see an option to import all the holidays for the current calendar year. When you sync with MyPhoneExplorer, the holidays will appear on your phone.

Search on "holidays" in the MyPhoneExplorer user forums for details.

You can also create custom holiday files which use formulas to compute future holidays. There are existing holiday files for a variety of national holiday calendars.

MyPhoneExplorer can provide the sort of desktop sync environment familiar to Palm users who may not want to turn over all of their personal data to the Googleplex.

cudBwrong
    Last edited by cudBwrong; 05-07-2012 at 10:59 PM.

PIM-Loving Maniac

Quote Originally Posted by cudBwrong View Post
    For the Original Poster tbessie:

I sympathize with your project to recreate the features of your Palm on the Android. (Been there, still doing that!) You can import holiday calendars into the Android calendar, without using Google calendar, by using the MyPhoneExplorer application. The method for doing so is a little obscure:

Using the MyPhoneExplorer desktop calendar application, select any time on a day which happens to contain a holiday, and right click. You will see an option to import all the holidays for the current calendar year. When you sync with MyPhoneExplorer, the holidays will appear on your phone.

Search on "holidays" in the MyPhoneExplorer user forums for details.

You can also create custom holiday files which use formulas to compute future holidays. There are existing holiday files for a variety of national holiday calendars.

MyPhoneExplorer can provide the sort of desktop sync environment familiar to Palm users who may not want to turn over all of their personal data to the Googleplex.

cudBwrong
    Thanks much! I may look into that, or just import vCal files manually as needed. I mean to go to Outlook as my desktop Calendar eventually, and when I do there's lots of ways I can get that data, luckily.

- Tim