Rooted Now! - Page 2

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rooted Now!

Hookette's edgy lately

Default Re: Rooted Now!

Yes to all questions. However, the risk isn't great unless you are careless. Root access means you can change anything at the system level. Basically, if you don't know what it is and have clear instructions, don't mess with it. Actually, with stock ROM, I believe a factory reset might overcome anything you messed up. You'd just reroot and restore from Titanium backup.
    Hook's Palm TX Help Page

Past: Palm T2 > Palm X > Nokia 5800 > HTC Nexus One > Samsung Galaxy Player 5 > LG Nexus 4 (gave to son) > LG Nexus 5

Current:
    Nexus 5, 32 GB,Rooted, Dirty Unicorns ROM, Android 4.4.2, Franco kernel
    Nexus 7 (2012) wifi+data (AT&T), Rooted, SlimKat Build 4, Android 4.4.2, ART, Franco Kernel

Flying Dog (...duh...)

Quote Originally Posted by LandSurveyor View Post
    So, lemme get this straight - you can root and unroot, meaning it's totally reversible.

But there's still a danger of making a mistake and bricking your phone? Or not?
    I can only speak about the HTC Evo. While it is possible to unroot an Evo, from what I've read it's not advisable to do so. I don't want to talk too much out of my posterior here, but I know that it has something to do with the hboot, and getting that back to the original isn't always a 100% thing. To be honest, I've read more about people (temporarily) messing up their phones when attempting to unroot more than I've seen problems with rooting. I've yet to see an incident where rooting or unrooting killed the phone beyond repair.

The risks of bricking your phone are minuscule. I mean, you have just as much of a chance of bricking your phone during an OTA update, and it's basically the same process. Initially a very, very small minority reported losing their Wimax keys during the Evo rooting process (and once you lose them they are gone as they are unique to each phone), but now the rooting procedure includes backing up the Wimax keys during the nand backup, so even that risk has been relatively nullified.

I haven't read of people having many problems during or after rooting. Now, after flashing an alternate ROM or kernel...there are typically more issues that come up. I haven't personally had any issues with rooting or flashing a custom ROM/kernel. Admittedly my ROM/kernel of choice isn't the bleeding cutting edge of technology, but both are excellent, current, and very stable. You can usually tell what to expect when you're looking around for ROMs/kernels. There really shouldn't be any surprises or else you probably didn't research the ROM/kernel well enough.
    Samsung GALAXY Note II
    Samsung GALAXY Note10.1 2014 Edition
    Samsung GALAXY S III (x3)

acer Iconia A500
    nookcolor (x4)
    nook Tablet

Hookette's edgy lately

Quote Originally Posted by internetpilot View Post
    I can only speak about the HTC Evo. While it is possible to unroot an Evo, from what I've read it's not advisable to do so. I don't want to talk too much out of my posterior here, but I know that it has something to do with the hboot, and getting that back to the original isn't always a 100% thing. To be honest, I've read more about people (temporarily) messing up their phones when attempting to unroot more than I've seen problems with rooting. I've yet to see an incident where rooting or unrooting killed the phone beyond repair.

The risks of bricking your phone are minuscule. I mean, you have just as much of a chance of bricking your phone during an OTA update, and it's basically the same process. Initially a very, very small minority reported losing their Wimax keys during the Evo rooting process (and once you lose them they are gone as they are unique to each phone), but now the rooting procedure includes backing up the Wimax keys during the nand backup, so even that risk has been relatively nullified.

I haven't read of people having many problems during or after rooting. Now, after flashing an alternate ROM or kernel...there are typically more issues that come up. I haven't personally had any issues with rooting or flashing a custom ROM/kernel. Admittedly my ROM/kernel of choice isn't the bleeding cutting edge of technology, but both are excellent, current, and very stable. You can usually tell what to expect when you're looking around for ROMs/kernels. There really shouldn't be any surprises or else you probably didn't research the ROM/kernel well enough.
    Well said. There's of course is another thing-- there may be, as is the case with everything Android, differences by model. The One-click method of rooting/unrooting on the Nexus One works perfectly (they list which phones it does and does not work on-- apparently doesn't work on the EVO). It's like a toggle switch and works perfectly in both directions.

Flashing ROMs is probably riskier, but the key is research. If you are really not 100% sure you know the risks involved and are willing to take those risks Don't do it! Really, unrooted Android devices with the stock/carrier ROMs are just fine. I chose to root because I really wanted to be able to do a full backup, but I took so long because I really needed to know I knew what I was doing.
    Hook's Palm TX Help Page

Past: Palm T2 > Palm X > Nokia 5800 > HTC Nexus One > Samsung Galaxy Player 5 > LG Nexus 4 (gave to son) > LG Nexus 5

Current:
    Nexus 7 (2012) wifi+data (AT&T), Rooted, SlimKat Build 4, Android 4.4.2, ART, Franco Kernel

Mobile Consultant

Well said... the key is research. Read, read, and read some more. When you feel you have read enough, read some more.

As noted, there are risks, but, in months of threaded research, i have never met anyone who has irreversibly bricked a device.

Also, as noted, not all root methods work for every device, and some don't even work on the same models with different software builds.

And it is reversible...

The cool thing about rooting is that you don't need to do it to have an awesome Android device.

IP: what are your SetCPU settings, if you don't mind me asking?

Flying Dog (...duh...)

Quote Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
    IP: what are your SetCPU settings, if you don't mind me asking?

Sometimes I use the Smarta$$ governor setting with no profiles, but I was trying these current settings to see if I could squeak out more battery life.
    Samsung GALAXY Note II

acer Iconia A500
    nookcolor (x4)
    nook Tablet

Hookette's edgy lately

Another root app for me to play with-- I'm enjoying all this input here at Brighthand. Most other places, they seem to expect you to know everything. I appreciate getting the info from BH folks and please continue to use this thread to make Root and ROM suggestions, talk about experiences, etc.
    Hook's Palm TX Help Page

Current:

Mobile Consultant

Check out CacheMate too, Hook.

IP: thanks... so far, I am still getting the hang of SetCPU.

Flying Dog (...duh...)

Yeah, I was a little surprised that there weren't any root threads here, but....nothing wrong with us starting one, especially sharing the short story of how we did it, why, what we like about it, etc.

SetCPU can be as complicated or automatic as you want and it will usually benefit you either way.
    Samsung GALAXY Note II

acer Iconia A500
    nookcolor (x4)
    nook Tablet

hal
    itchy and cold feet hal

Quote Originally Posted by Hook View Post
    This isn't earth-shattering and probably doesn't deserve it's own thread, but I've finally rooted my Nexus One.
    Geez, Hook, you're turning into a daring dude lately. Please keep us informed on your progress. As jig points out, you're paving the way.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda. "Nothing is neither wear-proof, nor fail-proof, least fool-proof." - HAL. "Indeed, fool-proof inventions have been attempted, but don't work, fools are pretty witty ones." - Murphy's Law. "Even worse than a traitor, is a dumb@$$ with initiative." - Gral. Santa Ana
    Link: Palm resets

Hookette's edgy lately

Quote Originally Posted by hal View Post
    Geez, Hook, you're turning into a daring dude lately. Please keep us informed on your progress. As jig points out, you're paving the way.
    No, actually, that was Stryker and Internet Pilot-- I'm just the blabbermouth.
    Hook's Palm TX Help Page

Current: