Move apps to SD card ... pros & cons?

Closed Thread
    Mobile Consultant

Default Move apps to SD card ... pros & cons?

I see that I'm able to move my apps onto the SD card in my HTC Desire phone. I note it says "move", rather than "copy".

I presume one advantage is that I won't have to re-install my apps if I need to do a factory reset, or when I get an OS update.

What are the other advantages, please? And what are the disadvantages?

Hookette's edgy lately

Default Re: Move apps to SD card ... pros & cons?

Quote Originally Posted by abenn View Post
    I see that I'm able to move my apps onto the SD card in my HTC Desire phone. I note it says "move", rather than "copy".

I presume one advantage is that I won't have to re-install my apps if I need to do a factory reset, or when I get an OS update.

What are the other advantages, please? And what are the disadvantages?
    No disadvantages. The main advantage is that it will free up phone memory. You will still need to reinstall after factory reset as a very small piece of the program will stay in phone memory, I believe. Not all programs will allow you to move them.
    Hook's Palm TX Help Page

Past: Palm T2 > Palm TX > Nokia 5800 > HTC Nexus One > Samsung Galaxy Player 5 > Nexus 7 (2012) > LG Nexus 4 (gave to son) > LG Nexus 5

Current:
    Nexus 5, 32 GB,Rooted, Dirty Unicorns ROM 7.5, Android 4.4.4, Franco kernel.
    Nexus 7 (2012) 3G (converted to Grouper wifi only), Rooted, Dirty Unicorns 7.5, Android 4.4.4, Franco Kernel.

Mobile Consultant

Thanks, Hook.

What's the advantage of freeing up phone memory -- assuming it's nowhere near full? Does it make things run faster?

Hookette's edgy lately

Quote Originally Posted by abenn View Post
    Thanks, Hook.

What's the advantage of freeing up phone memory -- assuming it's nowhere near full? Does it make things run faster?
    Depends on how much memory you have. I don't know the Desire's memory model, but on my Nexus One, I was able to go from 35mb free to 85mb free. The nexus will give a low memory warning at 20mb, I believe. However, I had to use a minor hack to get that much memory back as developers seem to be slow at implementing apps2sd. I described the hack here:

Cool tip: Move more apps to SD, free up memory without Rooting.

In general, going back to my Palm T2, I've always tried to free up as much memory as possible for computing processes and actual program execution.

YMMV.
    Hook's Palm TX Help Page

Past: Palm T2 > Palm TX > Nokia 5800 > HTC Nexus One > Samsung Galaxy Player 5 > Nexus 7 (2012) > LG Nexus 4 (gave to son) > LG Nexus 5

Current:
    Nexus 7 (2012) 3G (converted to Grouper wifi only), Rooted, Dirty Unicorns 7.5, Android 4.4.4, Franco Kernel.

Male Moderator

You can tell how much of an app installed to SD card is in main memory. Go into Settings>Applications>Manage Applications and select the "On SD card" tab. The file sizes it shows are actually what is in main memory. You can tell how much difference it makes by looking at the file size under "Downloaded", then after moving it look at "On SD card". I had a game that went from over 20Mb to a little over 2Mb after moving it. That means that 18+MB was freed up after moving.
    Nexus 4, iPad 2, PSVita, nook, Pen and Paper

“Five out of four people have a problem with fractions.”
    ~unknown

TabletPCReview Editor

abenn, this feature is there to allow you to install more applications. Some software, especially high-end games, require quite a bit of storage. If you install enough apps, you run out of internal capacity.

Now you can move apps to a storage card and carry around far more software.
    -
    I am the former Site Editor of Brighthand, but I now run the sister-site TabletPCReview. Follow me on Twitter or Google+

Older 'n louder w/KB envy

when an app on the SD card is run, does it run from the SD card, or (as in Palm OS) is it copied to internal memory, and executed there? just asking for clarification, although I expect the answer is that it runs from internal memory after being copied. presumably, when such an app finishes, it is then deleted from internal memory (leaving the "original copy" still on the SD card).
    My useful BH links -- BH FAQS/repair options/digitizer discussions
    ~"Friends are the Fambly we choose" ~"Shared pain is diminished, shared joy is increased"
    ~inanimate objects are smarter than we give them credit for~our lives are too short to not help others
    ~"when you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it" Dilbert 9/22/09
    ~RAiD: making no decision is really making the choice to do nothing, about something
    ~The beauty of learning to let go of anger and those things we cannot change is that you can make choices
    and deal with things on your own terms and not have them affect your whole day or those around you.

Hookette's edgy lately

Quote Originally Posted by RickAgresta View Post
    when an app on the SD card is run, does it run from the SD card, or (as in Palm OS) is it copied to internal memory, and executed there? just asking for clarification, although I expect the answer is that it runs from internal memory after being copied. presumably, when such an app finishes, it is then deleted from internal memory (leaving the "original copy" still on the SD card).
    No, I'm fairly certain this is like your laptop executing a program on an external hard drive. There are some system files that need to be in internal memory and those are stored there and not moved with the app, but I believe the program is launched from external memory.
    Hook's Palm TX Help Page

Current: