8pen: A New Text-Entry System - Page 2

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hookette's edgy lately

Default Re: 8pen: A New Text-Entry System

Here's a follow-up from RCR that reflects my experience so far.

A quick and dirty review of the 8pen | RCR Unplugged

I think they need to create a different gesture for space (double-tap center?), because having a space appear every time you lift your finger from the surface, particularly with a truly alien input system, is just plain frustrating when you are trying to learn it.

While I think the concept is an interesting one, I really don't see any advantage over Graffiti. They are both letter by letter writing systems, but Grafitti has the advantage of being an analog of actual letter writing in its gestures and therefore more direct and intuitive.
    Hook's Palm TX Help Page

Past: Palm T2 > Palm X > Nokia 5800 > HTC Nexus One > Samsung Galaxy Player 5 > LG Nexus 4 (gave to son) > LG Nexus 5

Current:
    Nexus 5, 32 GB,Rooted, Dirty Unicorns ROM, Android 4.4.2, Franco kernel
    Nexus 7 (2012) wifi+data (AT&T), Rooted, SlimKat Build 4, Android 4.4.2, ART, Franco Kernel

Hookette's edgy lately

As I've been using it more, I begin to really see 8pen's potential. They need to deal with some interface issues. For instance, you really need to turn off autorotation on the screen or you are going to get in trouble. However, I'm convinced that if these interface issues get cleared up, you could get very fast at this.

I just hope they can stay in business long enough to get the kinks worked out because many smartphone users are not going to have the patience for the learning curve nor the development curve.
    Hook's Palm TX Help Page

Past: Palm T2 > Palm X > Nokia 5800 > HTC Nexus One > Samsung Galaxy Player 5 > LG Nexus 4 (gave to son) > LG Nexus 5

Current:
    Nexus 7 (2012) wifi+data (AT&T), Rooted, SlimKat Build 4, Android 4.4.2, ART, Franco Kernel

Older 'n louder w/KB envy

Quote Originally Posted by RickAgresta View Post
    still and all, if Android is at all similar to the venerable Palm OS™ (sorry, can't resist), one can choose different methods of input, for different situations. although I am pretty darn good with MessagEase on my TX, I will on occasion use G2, and even whip out the built-in keyboard once in awhile, again, depending on what it is I'm doing (or not doing -- most often, those times I don't use ME is because I'm in Blazer, and the DIA won't pop up when I want to do text entry... ).
    Quote Originally Posted by Hook View Post
    Yes, you can easily switch methods, and I do all the time. I use Graffiti, Swype and the HTC Sense keyboard, as well as Blueinput to drive my Apple BT Keyboard. Graffiti is the easiest, but if I have something with a lot of punctuation like an email or web address, I prefer a keyboard. Each has pluses and minuses, and switching is fast and easy.

And now I have 8pen.
    fwiw, MessagEase (ME) is finally available for Android (as well as for the Apple iThings, WinMo5-6.x, Palm OS): not sure when they finally came out with it -- I'd sent an email to them some time back asking, and had no response. As with most migrations, it's nice to be able to bring some familiar tools along with you; I don't have any hard stats, but I'm confident that my WPM with ME is far better than using any other text entry method on the Palm, including the keyboard of the 755p or Centro.
    My useful BH links -- BH FAQS/repair options/digitizer discussions
    ~"Friends are the Fambly we choose" ~"Shared pain is diminished, shared joy is increased"
    ~inanimate objects are smarter than we give them credit for~our lives are too short to not help others
    ~"when you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it" Dilbert 9/22/09
    ~RAiD: making no decision is really making the choice to do nothing, about something
    ~The beauty of learning to let go of anger and those things we cannot change is that you can make choices
    and deal with things on your own terms and not have them affect your whole day or those around you.

Life is a circus!

I just found this link on Gizmodo: Crazy Android Keyboard App 8pen is Now Free
    This Signature Line Intentionally Left Blank

Hookette's edgy lately

I'm starting to use it more. The new updates have really helped. The voice works very well, but that's not really an compliment to 8pen since they are only utilizing the Google voice recognition app which itself has seen great improvements since Froyo came out.

I suspect that if one could force themselves to use nothing but this keyboard for a week, it would actually turn into a great input system. I'm toying with the idea of at least committing a couple of days and see what speed improvements happen.
    Hook's Palm TX Help Page

Current:

Don't have an Android mobile to try 8pen?
    Try 8pen here: [LINK REMOVED BY MODERATOR]
    Last edited by lelisa13p; 11-14-2010 at 02:49 AM. Reason: Mod Edit: Attempted link removed. DO NOT REPLACE.

Palm Pilot

Without actually looking at the latest exchange rate, $1.58 would be just about 1 Euro. Or maybe an English pound.
    Regards,

Stan

M105->Zire->Zire71->T3 > Lifedrive + N800 > EeePC + Samsung Captivate + Asus Transformer Prime + SGS3

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - B. Franklin

LandSurveyor

Is it just me or are the spammers getting more persistent lately?

Your Super Moderator
    Atlanta, GA USA Devices: Misc Palm & iProducts

Quote Originally Posted by LandSurveyor View Post
    Is it just me or are the spammers getting more persistent lately?
    Nope, it's not just you.

Report on sight and we'll keep squashing 'em.
    Experience is what you get when you thought you were getting something else.

Brighthand Forums - The Best Advice At Any Price

m130, Zire 71, Tungsten E, Palm TX, Eee PC, Aspire One, iPod Touch 2G, iPhone 3Gs, iPad, iPhone 4, iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPad Mini-R