Reviews of Android OS Apps

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Reviews of Android OS Apps

TabletPCReview Editor

Default Reviews of Android OS Apps

I'd like to start a collection of quick reviews of Android OS software. I'm going to add a few, but I encourage you to add some of your own.

These don't need to be in depth, just your impressions of the apps you've tried.

-
    I am the former Site Editor of Brighthand, but I now run the sister-site TabletPCReview. Follow me on Twitter or Google+

TabletPCReview Editor

Default Google Sky

Application: Google Sky Map
    Price: Free
    Requirements: Android OS
    Grade: A++
    -------------

Google Sky Map is a free astronomy app released by Google Labs. It shows you the names of everything you see in the night sky.

This app uses your device's built-in GPS, compass, and other sensors to detect where you are and what your looking at, so it's very easy to use.

If you would like to become a bit more familiar with the constellations, or just find out what that bright object in the sky is, you can't go wrong with Google Sky Map.
    -
    I am the former Site Editor of Brighthand, but I now run the sister-site TabletPCReview. Follow me on Twitter or Google+

TabletPCReview Editor

Default Re: Reviews of Android OS Apps

Application: Advanced Task Killer Free
    -------------

The Android OS doesn't make it easy for you to do memory management*, but Advanced Task Killer Free makes it a breeze. This app can be as simple or complex as you want it to be.

Most of the time, what I use is a simple widget that shuts down everything running on the smartphone. But you can also open this app and selectively choose which background apps to close.

* Why do you care about this? To be honest, I'm not 100% sure memory management is necessary with the Android OS. But after many years as a smartphone user, I've gotten used to being able to close all the background apps if I want to. So if you think your device isn't running as quickly as it normally does, you can run Advanced Task Killer Free and see if a background app is slowing it down.

TabletPCReview Editor

Default IMDb

Application: IMDb
    Grade: B
    -------------

The Internet Movie Database (IMDb) is a site I go to at least once a week, so I downloaded the stand-alone IMDb app. This presents the same information as you'd find on the website, just organized a bit better for small smartphone screen.

The big advantage of the app is you can watch the movie trailers. It's also quicker if you don't have access to 3G.

-

Hookette's edgy lately

This is a great idea. I will be contributing a number of these this week-end.

Edit: A little slow getting started, but more coming.
    Last edited by Hook; 09-13-2010 at 11:09 AM.
    Hook's Palm TX Help Page

Past: Palm T2 > Palm TX > Nokia 5800 > HTC Nexus One > Samsung Galaxy Player 5 > Nexus 7 (2012) > LG Nexus 4 (gave to son) > LG Nexus 5

Current:
    Nexus 5, 32 GB,Rooted, Dirty Unicorns ROM 7.5, Android 4.4.4, Franco kernel.
    Nexus 7 (2012) 3G (converted to Grouper wifi only), Rooted, Dirty Unicorns 7.5, Android 4.4.4, Franco Kernel.

Hookette's edgy lately

Default Graffiti

Application: Graffiti
    Grade: A-
    -------------

This really works brilliantly on Android. I was never a heavy user of Graffiti on Palms but I only ever had G2 and thisis G1. I have several keyboards, including Swype, and for simple text without complicated punctuation or note taking, this is the simplest and fastest input method.

Works very well using your finger.
    Hook's Palm TX Help Page

Past: Palm T2 > Palm TX > Nokia 5800 > HTC Nexus One > Samsung Galaxy Player 5 > Nexus 7 (2012) > LG Nexus 4 (gave to son) > LG Nexus 5

Current:
    Nexus 7 (2012) 3G (converted to Grouper wifi only), Rooted, Dirty Unicorns 7.5, Android 4.4.4, Franco Kernel.

Hookette's edgy lately

Default Astro

Application: Astro
    Price: Free or Pay
    -------------

An excellent swiss army knife file manager. Indispensible for manual file management and exploring not only the SD storage but the phone as well. Many bundled capabilities.

Free version is ad supported. $4 to remove ads-- well worth supporting the developer in my opinion.
    Hook's Palm TX Help Page

Current:

Mobile Consultant

Application: Bar Code Scanner
    Requirements: Android OS camera on device
    Grade: A

Scan Bar Code of products and it googles it for information and prices good quick research tool if you see something in store.
    Shawn Pickett

Sony Clie PEG TJ-25/U ---> Palm TX ---> Droid 2

TabletPCReview Editor

Application: Dropbox
    Grade: A

This app ties into the Dropbox online files storage/exchange service.

I mostly use this as a way to exchange files between my different devices. The Android OS app allows you to easily download or upload images, video, or audio. If you have a compatible file management app you can exchange any type of file.

In addition, if you are willing to pay for additional storage capacity beyond 2 GB you can use this as long-term storage.

The app is easy to use, free, and handy. Still, there are issues. File management is lacking. If there's an easy way to move files between folders I don't know of it.
    -
    Last edited by Ed Hardy; 10-01-2010 at 07:26 PM.

Life is a circus!

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hardy View Post
    Application: Dropbox
    Grade: A+

This app ties into the Dropbox online files storage/exchange service.

I mostly use this as a way to exchange files between my different devices. The Android OS app allows you to easily download or upload images, video, or audio. If you have a compatible file management app you can exchange any type of file.

In addition, if you are willing to pay for additional storage capacity beyond 2 GB you can use this as long-term storage.

The app is easy to use, free, and handy.
    -
    Folks using Dropbox might be interested in these 2 articles from Lifehacker:

Print Files on Your Printer from Any Phone or Remote Computer via Dropbox
    (Print Files from Any Phone or Remote Computer via Dropbox, Mac Edition)

Dropbox Giving .EDU Addresses 500 MB per Referral
    This Signature Line Intentionally Left Blank