Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Reviews of Android OS Apps

Mobile Consultant

Default Re: Reviews of Android OS Apps

Quote Originally Posted by SGosnell View Post
    Application: Teamviewer
    Price: Free
    Requirements: Android OS, Windows, Linux, Mac, any combination.
    Grade: A++
    -------------

Teamviewer is remote control software that lets you control a PC from another using either a local wifi network or across the interwebtubez. I use it to control a server I have set up at home, from wherever I may be. I can transfer files, reboot the computer, or whatever, just as if I were at the keyboard. There is also a Teamviewer app for Android, and using it I can control my server, or any other PC I have Teamviewer installed on, from my Android phone. The software gives you a mouse cursor just like you have on the PC, and it works surprisingly well. With this installed, I can fix my mother's PC from anywhere, whenever she has problems with it. Doing that over the phone using just voice, with her doing the pointing and clicking, is less than ideal. With Teamviewer, it's a piece of cake.
    I use Teamviewer occasionally, and like it.

Mobile Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by jigwashere View Post
    Application: Smithsonian Channel
    Requirements: Android OS
    Grade: A
    -------------

Great multimedia edutainment.
    The Smithsonian Channel does look very interesting.

However, I am concerned about this app running when I am not connected to WiFi because of data usage. So I wonder

-- how do I shut this app down after I am finished viewing it ? (I see that it has a "Force Stop" option but wondered if that was meant for normal use?)

-- can I prevent it from running when I am not connected to WiFi ?

I have a Droid X running 2.3.3 Android on Verizon.

Hookette's edgy lately

Quote Originally Posted by o3v3tz View Post
    The Smithsonian Channel does look very interesting.

However, I am concerned about this app running when I am not connected to WiFi because of data usage. So I wonder

-- how do I shut this app down after I am finished viewing it ? (I see that it has a "Force Stop" option but wondered if that was meant for normal use?)

-- can I prevent it from running when I am not connected to WiFi ?

I have a Droid X running 2.3.3 Android on Verizon.
    Your best bet if you are concerned it to shut off data when you are away from wifi (this doesn't affect voice and SMS). You can do it by digging down into Settings --> Wireless and Networks --> Mobile Networks --> uncheck Data Enabled (You might find differences depending on what version of Android you have, but there should be something similar).

I prefer using an app to do it. I use the free Quicksettings, which opens up from my home screen and presets a handy and customizable control panel of a lot of things I would otherwise have to dig into menus to find.
    Hook's Palm TX Help Page

Past: Palm T2 > Palm TX > Nokia 5800 > HTC Nexus One > Samsung Galaxy Player 5 > Nexus 7 (2012) > LG Nexus 4 (gave to son) > LG Nexus 5

Current:
    Nexus 5, 32 GB,Rooted, Dirty Unicorns ROM 7.5, Android 4.4.4, Franco kernel.
    Nexus 7 (2012) 3G (converted to Grouper wifi only), Rooted, Dirty Unicorns 7.5, Android 4.4.4, Franco Kernel.

Application: Google Currents
    Requirements: Android OS,iOS
    RATING:****

Watchout Flipboard, Zite, News360, Pulse ... really, any of your favorite news reader apps. Google has gotten into the game and is feeding Google News into this new mobile user interface that gives the reader a whole new dynamic when checking out the latest Google News headlines. Unlike other Google apps made for iOS, the iPhone and iPad versions function well and give the user a dynamic interface for surfacing the best stories of the day in a variety of topics

* Publisher editions - Publishers such as Forbes, Techcrunch, Saveur, Popular Science, Good, 500px, Fast Company and more have produced hundreds of editions including in-depth articles, videos, fine photography, slideshows, live-maps, and social streams.
    * Google trending editions - Google Currents uses Google search technology to hourly build a set of editions tracking the five most recent trending stories in categories such as world, entertainment, sports, science, and more. Each story is presented through a fresh edition of articles, videos, and pictures,
    * Your favorite blogs and feeds - Instantly, turn your Google Reader subscriptions, or any of your favorite blogs/feeds into a beautiful edition with a magazine feel.
    Each edition is available for high speed offline reading, and provides quick-touch sharing. Google Currents self-adapts to differently sized phones and tablets, with your subscriptions synchronized across devices. Google Currents - a reading experience not to be missed.

Life is a circus!

Default MX Video Player

Application: MX Video Player
    -------------

MX Video Player is a joy to use on a button-less device. Swipe up and down on the left side of the screen to adjust brightness; swipe the right side to adjust volume. Swipe across the screen for a very controlled rewind/advance. I've recently started streaming on my LAN, selecting the video to play using ES File Explorer. I've been able to stream a few video iso images (not all), and .mp4's. MX Video Player lets me switch audio tracks on the fly and has some technical features which are over my head. It also has the ability to lock the screen -- which means that accidentally touching the screen (or wiping off a fingerprint, for example) doesn't affect playback.

MoboPlayer is another awesome video player for Android, but I haven't used it much to notice significant differences in functionality from MX Video Player. At the moment, I prefer the video playback controls of MX Video Player, but I keep both video players on my device for now.
    This Signature Line Intentionally Left Blank

Life is a circus!

Default Skitch by Evernote

Application: Skitch by Evernote
    -------------

I hadn't used Evernote for quite a long time, but decided to try it out on my new Epic 4G Touch. While testing it out, I clicked an icon that requires Skitch, and on a whim, decided to install it. The two apps work together, but are not dependent on each other.

Skitch allows you to quickly and easily annotate images on your screen. One of the options I like is its ability to capture an image of a map, make notes on it, then share it via email. I simply plugged in an address, zoomed in on the area of the map I wanted, captured the image, then circled a point of interest, added a note with an arrow, and sent it to a friend. Very useful! Of course, it can also be fun to play with - just take a picture of your boss and draw devil horns on it!

Life is a circus!

Default Animated Analog Clock Widget

Application: Animated Analog Clock Widget
    -------------

Animated Analog Clock Widget allows me to add a small clock widget to my screen. What I really like is that the clock has a second hand. At bedtime, my daughter wants me to make sure she brushes for 2 min. I just whip out my phone and don't have to set a timer or anything. I just not her start time and let her know when 2 min are up.

Mobile Enthusiast

Default Re: MX Video Player

Application: MX Video Player
    -------------

MX Video Player is a joy to use on a button-less device. Swipe up and down on the left side of the screen to adjust brightness; swipe the right side to adjust volume. Swipe across the screen for a very controlled rewind/advance. I've recently started streaming on my LAN, selecting the video to play using ES File Explorer. I've been able to stream a few video iso images (not all), and .mp4's. MX Video Player lets me switch audio tracks on the fly and has some technical features which are over my head. It also has the ability to lock the screen -- which means that accidentally touching the screen (or wiping off a fingerprint, for example) doesn't affect playback.

MoboPlayer is another awesome video player for Android, but I haven't used it much to notice significant differences in functionality from MX Video Player. At the moment, I prefer the video playback controls of MX Video Player, but I keep both video players on my device for now.
    MX Video has my vote too! Excellent player
    Palm TX, iTouch 4G, Sony ereader and Sony S Tablet user!

Life is a circus!

Application: Read It Later Pro for Android
    Price: $2.99
    Grade: A+
    -------------
    I picked this up on a one day Amazon.com sale for free. I love being able to easily save articles to view later. It's very easy and convenient to use. The interface is terrific. I typically save articles while at my desktop to view on my NOOKcolor, but I can also "share" them from Dolphin Browser HD for later reading. Apparently it can do video, but I haven't tried that yet.

Try the free version, which has a few limitations, before paying for Pro.
    Read it Later is now Pocket -- and it's free! Give it a try.

DTM
    Intentionally left blank

Default BeyondPod

Application: BeyondPod
    Price: $6.99 after one week free trial
    Requirements: Android OS, online connection for streaming and while updating downloads
    Grade: A-
    -------------

A terrific podcatcher for download or streaming. Nicely configurable for how many episodes to download, how many to save, delete after X days and so forth. You can set up a smart playlist with rules by feed or category (e.g. - Play the three oldest News items, then the five newest Sports items, then....) You can also schedule downloads at whatever interval you want.

I have mine set up to refresh all my feeds at 6:00 a.m., so it's all up-to-date for the drive to work, news first, entertainment second, and so on.

BeyondPod has an extensive library of feeds, or you can just click a feed link in your browser and select "Complete action with BeyondPod". It handles video and text feeds, but I've not tried those yet.

The UI is not as clean as it could be, thus the "minus". But the important thing about it is that, once the feeds are configured, you pretty much forget about anything other than hit the play button and listen.
    The problem with quotes you read on the Internet is that you can't always depend on their accuracy. - Abraham Lincoln