Connect HTC Desire to home WiFi

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Mobile Consultant

Default Connect HTC Desire to home WiFi

I've just got my HTC Desire, and at the moment I'm overwhelmed by all the features available on it. I've downloaded the 211-page manual, so things may soon become clearer.

But the one thing I've tried so far -- connecting to the internet via my home modem/router's WiFi -- I've been unable to achieve despite reading the Wi-Fi section in the manual:

My router/modem is Netgear DG834G, and its wireless access point is enabled and broadcasting its name. Security is set to WPA2-PSK.

When I go to the WiFi settings on my Desire, it lists my router (and a couple of others down the street), and reports an excellent signal. But when I tap on the router name, then on the Connect button, nothing seems to happen, and it still displays "Disconnected" under the Wi-Fi label.

What might I be doing wrong, please? Do I need to set up an access list in my router software? Is it the security setting on my router? Or am I simply taking the wrong approach?

Hookette's edgy lately

Default Re: Connect HTC Desire to home WiFi

I'm not sure. This shouldn't be difficult at all. I've got a Netgear WGR614 router with WPA2-PSK security and my Nexus One just connected, all I had to do was type in the passkey once.

Find another wifi access point and confirm that the Desire connects. If not, maybe the Desire is defective. Otherwise, I'd look in the router settings to see if there is some problem.

As far as Android goes, it should be pretty routine.
    Hook's Palm TX Help Page

Past: Palm T2 > Palm TX > Nokia 5800 > HTC Nexus One > Samsung Galaxy Player 5 > Nexus 7 (2012) > LG Nexus 4 (gave to son) > LG Nexus 5

Current:
    Nexus 5, 32 GB,Rooted, Dirty Unicorns ROM 7.5, Android 4.4.4, Franco kernel.
    Nexus 7 (2012) 3G (converted to Grouper wifi only), Rooted, Dirty Unicorns 7.5, Android 4.4.4, Franco Kernel.

NOT your Average Joe
    Kingsport, TN USA Device: Touchie, the Touch Pro2

I was waiting for Hook to jump in, since he's got a more similar device. But, yes - It should be a simple, one-time "let me connect" action and it will connect anytime you're within range of the signal thereafter. That's how my WM TP2 works, connecting with my D-Link router in about 10 seconds the first time, and automagically thereafter.

I agree with Hook: Check the router config / settings to make sure it isn't blocking or locking out other devices. Otherwise, make sure you've selected the correct connection on the Desire. It really should be quite easy.

Good luck!

Somedays it's not even worth chewing through the restraints...

I should only have to LET the technology work for me. If I have to MAKE the technology work for me, it's not a tool - It's a boat anchor. And I've got better things to do than manage boat anchors, especially if I don't have a boat.

Mobile Consultant

You have me worried now. Things went just as you've described -- I had to type in my router password the first time I tried to connect, and subsequently my Desire hasn't asked me for a password, it's just allowed me to connect. But I can't access any web site, and when I go back to the Settings/Wireless & networks page on my Desire, it says "Disconnected" under the Wi-Fi option, even though there's a green tick against it.

I've checked my router settings once again. I'm new to this too, but the only possibility I can see is that under the heading "Firewall Rules" there are no rules listed which, according to the help file, means that all outbound traffic is permitted and all inbound traffic is blocked. Is this what's stopping my Desire from communicating via Wi-Fi? If so, I've got a bit of research to do because I don't know what LAN Server IP Address (required if I want to create a new rule) I need to use.

Hookette's edgy lately

Quote Originally Posted by abenn View Post
    You have me worried now. Things went just as you've described -- I had to type in my router password the first time I tried to connect, and subsequently my Desire hasn't asked me for a password, it's just allowed me to connect. But I can't access any web site, and when I go back to the Settings/Wireless & networks page on my Desire, it says "Disconnected" under the Wi-Fi option, even though there's a green tick against it.

I've checked my router settings once again. I'm new to this too, but the only possibility I can see is that under the heading "Firewall Rules" there are no rules listed which, according to the help file, means that all outbound traffic is permitted and all inbound traffic is blocked. Is this what's stopping my Desire from communicating via Wi-Fi? If so, I've got a bit of research to do because I don't know what LAN Server IP Address (required if I want to create a new rule) I need to use.
    Don't mess with the rules. If you have not changed many of the defaults in your router, other than creating name and setting security level, don't mess with the router. My rule of thumb is, if you don't understand how something works (me and routers), don't go changing settings when you don't know what the problem is.

Have you rebooted the router recently? Unplug it, wait 30 seconds and then plug it back in.

If that doesn't work, go to a free wifi hotspot somewhere like a coffee shop or your local library and see if you connect. Make sure you are getting a wifi connection and not 3G.

If you connect fine, go back home and select your network. I'm not sure which version of Android you have --I have 2.1-- but mine will offer to forget the network. Do so. Then find it again. This should require you to retype the pass-phrase. Maybe you somehow got it wrong or the data became corrupted. See what happens.

If none of this works, I would try HTC tech support (because I think they will be more helpful than Netgear, but you can try both).

Report your progress here.
    Last edited by Hook; 05-01-2010 at 04:56 PM.
    Hook's Palm TX Help Page

Past: Palm T2 > Palm TX > Nokia 5800 > HTC Nexus One > Samsung Galaxy Player 5 > Nexus 7 (2012) > LG Nexus 4 (gave to son) > LG Nexus 5

Current:
    Nexus 5, 32 GB,Rooted, Dirty Unicorns ROM 7.5, Android 4.4.4, Franco kernel.
    Nexus 7 (2012) 3G (converted to Grouper wifi only), Rooted, Dirty Unicorns 7.5, Android 4.4.4, Franco Kernel.

Mobile Consultant

Thanks, Hook. I've re-booted my router several times. I'll try "forget" on the phone, and then re-acquire the network to see if that works.

I only visit town once a week, so that's why I'm trying to learn how the Wi-Fi part of my phone works using my home system. I'll try one of the coffee shops with free Wi-Fi when I visit next week. One of the first things I did when I got the phone was switch off the 3G internet access, because I don't want to pay their high charges ;-))

Mobile Deity

Its possible that the router/modem maybe set to only one device. Some ISPs do that if the router/modem came from them. I had this experience before. Might need someone familiar with router setup to check on this one.
    I am @guamguy on Twitter.

Mobile Consultant

Thanks, Drillbit. The modem came from a large electrical retailer, so should be "unlocked". Although I'm new to routers, going through all the menus on the screen, I can't see anything that would suggest it's set to a single device.

Hook, I've told my phone to forget my Wi-Fi, and then re-acquired it and input the password. For a moment it indicated Wi-Fi was connected, but then reverted to "disconnected". All my router settings are factory, except for my own password.

Seems like I'm doing everything right, so we'll have to wait until I can get to a Wi-Fi hotspot at the end of the week to see if there's a fundamental problem with the phone.

Older 'n louder w/KB envy

you could try tempprarily disabling security on your router, telling the Desire to forget as above, and trying to connect; if that works then re-enable, telling the Desire to forget as above, and try again.

I'm assuming that there is no issue of which wifi band being used; for example, some 'mature' devices only support 802.11b, and in turn have major problems with *some* routers (usually if the router is in a mixed mode of some sort)
    My useful BH links -- BH FAQS/repair options/digitizer discussions
    ~"Friends are the Fambly we choose" ~"Shared pain is diminished, shared joy is increased"
    ~inanimate objects are smarter than we give them credit for~our lives are too short to not help others
    ~"when you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it" Dilbert 9/22/09
    ~RAiD: making no decision is really making the choice to do nothing, about something
    ~The beauty of learning to let go of anger and those things we cannot change is that you can make choices
    and deal with things on your own terms and not have them affect your whole day or those around you.

Short story:
    It is probably your wireless router, my phone produced exactly the same behaviour as you described and I found out it was my wireless router to blame. For me a simple unplugging and replugging the router worked out.

Long story:
    I have been experiencing similar problems to yours, abenn. I bought my HTC Desire yesterday, and was able to connect to my wifi network without problems. I left the wifi connection on for the night and when I woke up this morning the connection was still up but when I accessed the internet the G icon turned on and the data was returned over the mobile internet connection.

Then I proceeded and turned wifi off, on again, off again etc. to no avail. I made the phone forget about my home network and re-entered the password, still nothing. I did the same when I unchecked the mobile internet connection but nothing seemed to happen (exactly as how you described it).

I surfed the internet (using the mobile internet connection) on the Desire and came across your thread, when I wanted to reply I decided to do so from a computer because I am not yet used to the on screen keyboard (I used to have a HTC G1). But the computer could not connect to the home network either, so I unplugged the wireless router, plugged it in again, waited 10 seconds or so and the computer could connect to the network again. Than I grabbed my Desire and it was already happily showing the wireless symbol. Ofcourse I tested the network connection and it achieved speeds not possible over 3G so it has to be working.